Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Why no Blade 4 Poke?? Doesnt Snipes want to do it? I think Thundercats will happen, no way

it doesnt have the magic potential to be as big or bigger than Turtles if done right on the big screen.

The technology, regalness of the characters.. OMG And can you imagine how grand

the Sword of Omens will be on the big screen.

Going to see Intersellar either this weekend or Monday. :)

If you haven't notice Snipes hasn't had much mainstream success so I doubt the studios are interested in making another Blade movie with him. If anything a reboot is likelier.

I agree about Thundercats, there's a lot of potential, but knowing Hollywood they'll probably fuck it up. Honestly I was quite happy when I heard that the recently cancelled was going to be a CGI animated film, that is until they cancelled it, that and the reboot (sigh!).

Hope you see and enjoy Interstellar Kal.

• Like 2

This brings up an interesting theory of mine. How many of you here read a lot of science fiction, and specifically hard SF? I think for anyone who's an avid SF reader, nothing in INTERSTELLAR would be particularly mindblowing -- these are all pretty traditional concepts, and even the twist of "love as the binding force" is actually (over)used to the point where it's considered a standard trope.

So I wonder if perhaps that's why for some the third act of IS is this mindblowing amazing thing, yet others have a more muted reaction.

That's definitely true but that's the case with every single hard-SF movie. For example, the "twists" in Oblivion surely came as no surprises to an avid SF reader. In that respect, I'm waiting for Gilliam's "Zero Theorem" because, even if the science may not be that hard, that's one guy who really can surprise me. Blow me mind, Terry!

• Like 2

It's really odd for me reading all this as I honestly cannot remember the last time I hated a film as much as this one. (Possibly it was Lost in Translation).

There were so many scenes that were so mind-blowingly stupid that I couldn't enjoy some of the good ideas in here (I liked using the moon landing conspiracy to persuade people that technology isn't as great as people imagined for example and turning the truth into the conspiracy. The ending was also quite emotional) but I just wanted the damn thing to end after a while. I think I even literally face-palmed at one point in the film upon realising what a twist was going to be.

And the praise for the music. To me it was the first time I've hated a score. It felt so... the twist is coming, are you ready? Here it comes? Wait for it!!! and.... now TWIST WAHHHHH!

• Like 1

Concept-wise, there's nothing new under the sun (is there ever?), but in terms of ambition and scale that went into the filmmaking, this is of a level rarely seen before. So just enjoy the f**king show, y'all!

It's also funny how this level of scrutiny regarding originality, plot-holes etc. seems to be exclusively reserved for Nolan...

• Like 4

I really wanted to like this film though. I love the Dark Knight, Prestige and Batman Begins were great. The only film I've seen i didn't like was Dark Knight Rises.

I was happy to sit through an opening hour of developement in return for an awesome pay off, but it was just painful for me to sit through at the end of the day. :(

Edited by chasmmi

I really wanted to like this film though. I love the Dark Knight, Prestige and Batman Begins were great. The only film I've seen i didn't like was Dark Knight Returns.

I was happy to sit through an opening hour of developement in return for an awesome pay off, but it was just painful for me to sit through at the end of the day. :(

dark knight returns?

Nolan and Paramount should have called it Inception2. The different timevelocities fad is again exploited to the full. In Inception I liked it. Here it gives me deja-vues.

I hate timetravelplots, because of the paradoxa (if it were possible Sheldon Cooper would travel back in time and give a time machine to himself - all said) Here like in some other movies they solve everything by simply having the future fullfill the past (like they did for instance in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban). If it were possible to communicate  from the future back to past (through gravity or what ever), why haven't people from the future used this way to tell us everything allready? (isn't there a movie, where an American time traveler gives a German clerk working in the patent office, the idea to relativity?)

The story is a nice thriller and for sure nice to to watch in IMAX (I did not). The film setting looked rather familiar to me (I have been to Iceland 3 years ago). From the moment they landed there, it was clear who was a fraud.

The actors (esp. McConaughey and Caine) were really good.

watchable but I prefer Inception 

Edited by Rudolf
  • Like 1

Well, I just saw it a 2nd time in a normal theater yesterday...

The dialogue was 100 times clearer, I think I picked up every line spoken.

This time, I actually did understand and like the whole Mann subplot a lot more... that really bothered me after my initial viewing.

Visuals were once again outstanding, held their own even not in 70 mm IMAX.

I had goosebumps throughout the movie, knowing how everything would play out, how Cooper would be the ghost, everything was just so much more emotional and I felt the payoff was even greater a second time.

Once again, A+. I have this ranked now as my 3rd favorite Nolan film, behind Memento and TDK respectively, but it very well may be his best film thus far. I can't comment further until I have this on bluray and watch it a shit-load of times and see how it holds up then. 

Nolan is a maestro, I'll leave it at that. 

• Like 5

So after a few days of letting the movie sit on my mind and thinking it over, I'll settle for a solid "B". Nolan definitely went outside of his own comfort zone here in a very big way. Hard sci-fi and Spielberg-ish family drama intertwined with that. I give him a lot of credit for using his big budget director status in this way by doing something different for him as well as something wildly ambitious. He's still among my favorite directors in Hollywood right now and this just furthers that for me.

Now for the actual film. It's not perfect. Far from it, actually. There is some odd pacing at times and the tonal switches, wild very mild, are definitely there. I have to say there are parts of each act I loved and parts I disliked. I know they were driving the relationship with Cooper and Murph a lot, but honestly it kind of seemed like at times Tom (the brother) was the redheaded stepchild. I mean, yeah he's older than Murph and maybe as a boy growing into a man he's trying not to be sentimental about his father leaving on a potentially dangerous mission into space where they may never see each other again, both him and his father just seem to shrug it off initially. Though I guess it is helped a bit by Tom pretty much being the only one to stay in some form of contact with Cooper via the messages, and Cooper always refers to him along with Murph when speaking with others, so I guess I can't focus too much on that. I just couldn't help but shake the feeling it was very one sided. 

The space exploration stuff was awesomely solid. The pacing gets kind of slow at some points, but ultimately the movie does keep going and it is for the better. A bit too much exposition as some people often joke Nolan is responsible for, but in some cases in this movie the over explaining actually helped. If I wasn't already told Matt Damon was going to be in the film his role would have been an incredible surprise. Unfortunately I already knew the moment they walked into the base he would probably be playing Mann. Acting was phenomenal, probably one of the highlights of the film. Matthew McConaughey continues his hot streak here.

Those last 20-30 minutes were probably my favorite. To be honest I know Nolan probably didn't want to make things a complete tripfest but I would have enjoyed more of the 2001-inspired crazy shit like that. At least it ended the film on a high note. Also, the film was a lot funnier than I thought it was. The audience had a handful of good laughs, half of them being from TARS. 

Also worth noting this was the first 70mm IMAX film I've ever seen. And goddamn was it worth it. That 70mm projection really helped make this movie an experience. From those vast cornfields on earth to the deep depths of space and unique planets, it was a wonder to behold. This was a movie made from the ground up for this format, and I'm happy to have experienced it in that.

Overall, a great effort from Nolan. Not his best movie, but I applaud him for going outside of his comfort zone and doing something different and taking full advantage of his status right now. The passion that went into making this film is clear and every bit is on screen. I hope he keeps challenging himself as a director, because I can definitely see that ending up in another masterpiece like The Dark Knight one of these days. 

My grade stands as a solid "B". I enjoyed it about as much as GOTG, DOFP, and Apes in terms of 2014 films, maybe a bit of an edge to Interstellar thanks to originality and the IMAX epicness. 

• Like 7

That's definitely true but that's the case with every single hard-SF movie. For example, the "twists" in Oblivion surely came as no surprises to an avid SF reader. In that respect, I'm waiting for Gilliam's "Zero Theorem" because, even if the science may not be that hard, that's one guy who really can surprise me. Blow me mind, Terry!

But that is true for any genre and any avid reader. I read a lot when I was young, so most movie plots are deja-vues for me. For example Groundhog Day was familiar from a science fiction book for me (can't remember which). A movie like AVATAR (original story) starts a cacophony of deja-vues.

My only suggestion to you two is to see it again. I plan on checking it out this weekend. Throughout the week, I've replayed certain "bad" moments in my head, and realized that they might actually work, but I would have to see a second viewing.

I dunno, the moments I felt weren't that good didn't improve on a second viewing. I was able to ignore them more in order to better my enjoyment of the movie, but that's not the same thing.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

So I had a very interesting thought about the film, which if it turns out to be the case, would be quite a brilliant and clever twist Nolan threw into the film. It's something I think flew by almost everyone's heads (haven't really read the last 10 or so pages). I need to rewatch the film once or twice again to confirm this is the case before talking about it.

If this is the case, then it would be a trademark Nolan detail, something you only notice on a second or third viewing, and a little detail that accentuates and only furthers your enjoyment of the film.

If you haven't notice Snipes hasn't had much mainstream success so I doubt the studios are interested in making another Blade movie with him. If anything a reboot is likelier.

I agree about Thundercats, there's a lot of potential, but knowing Hollywood they'll probably fuck it up. Honestly I was quite happy when I heard that the recently cancelled was going to be a CGI animated film, that is until they cancelled it, that and the reboot (sigh!).

Hope you see and enjoy Interstellar Kal.

Me too my friend. Im going to fork out 14 for travel and ruffly 19-21 to see it lol. So it better be good-Hah hah :P

Im just glad we can lay this is going to blow the Avatar spirtual, music, and all out immersing experience of most people's life away.

This was never going to be Avatar, and no one can bend and shape our minds and hearts and push the industry like.

JAmes fuking Cameron.. Just watch what he does next Poke.. And are you excited about He-man finally getting an estimated 160-200+M budget .. Now we need a great director to take the helm.

And heaven forbid they fuk up Thundercats.. Think only BO success and Fans going ape over it.. I could see Brad Pitt as Liono for some reason lol

• Like 2