grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

That's not a bad number is it? 75 by the end of the weekend? With 50DOM, 125WW OW?

I think that's all markets though except China and Japan so good but not great. 

It would need a 3x multiplier from those markets, $25m in Japan and $100m in China to hit $350m O/S

China pre-sales also seem to be slower than expected and are severely lagging behind those of a local rom-com opening the day after.

Edited by TalismanRing

Rank & Title
IMDb Rating Your Rating  
MV5BODU4MjU4NjIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU2 1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 9.2
RATE

MV5BMjEyMjcyNDI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA5 2. The Godfather (1972) 9.2
RATE

MV5BNDc2NTM3MzU1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA5 3. The Godfather: Part II (1974) 9.0
RATE

MV5BMTMxNTMwODM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAy 4. The Dark Knight (2008) 8.9
RATE

MV5BMjE0ODk2NjczOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQ0 5. Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.9
RATE

MV5BOTQ5NDI3MTI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDQ4 6. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 8.9
RATE

MV5BMzMwMTM4MDU2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ0 7. Schindler's List (1993) 8.9
RATE

MV5BODQwOTc5MDM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQx 8. 12 Angry Men (1957) 8.9
RATE

MV5BMjE4MjA1NTAyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM1 9. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 8.9
RATE

MV5BMjIwNTYzMzE1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE5 10. Fight Club (1999) 8.8
RATE

MV5BNTEyMjAwMDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQy 11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring(2001) 8.8
RATE

MV5BMjIxNTU4MzY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM4 12. Interstellar (2014) 8.8
RATE

:lol:

• Like 1

I agree about worst case, but what's up with that best case? It's a movie that skews older (a LOT): 75% over the age of 25. Isn't that supposed to assure good legs in most cases? That is around a 3.2x muliplier, hardly impressive for such a movie.

3.2x multiplier *is* good legs for a blockbuster these days, especially one without universal acclaim.

• Like 1

That's not a bad number is it? 75 by the end of the weekend? With 50DOM, 125WW OW?

some OS weekends are 4-5 days (only Japan 2), so I doubt you can calculate times 3

Edited by Rudolf
  • Like 1

I was hoping for a better hold for Nightcrawler

Interstellar could end up #5 on biggest non-#1 debuts of all time.

If Dumb and Dumber 2 breaks out next weekend, Interstellar could be in trouble.  It needs to have a soft hold before Hunger Games.  I expect BH6 to have better legs and to beat out Interstellar domestically.  Interstellar: $215-225 ; BH6: $230-$240

• Like 1

Cameron hadn't been able to build off his own name before that film either. Titanic was a big hit via tremendous legs.

Uh, yes he has.  Titanic poster mentions Aliens, T2, and True Lies.

You could much more easily attribute those to Schwarzenegger's rising starpower. And in that era, starpower was everything.

Cameron helped with the quality of the films. I really doubt he was a big draw himself, considering how The Abyss flopped.

The earliest memory I have of a directors previous efforts being mentioned was on the box for T2 mentioning The Abyss.  I am sure it had been done before, but I remember that very vividly even though I was only 12.

The point is Cameron was not always this God of filmmaking whose movies people would see regardless of what they were about. He had to build up that reputation to the point Avatar was able to open to $75 million+. Considering the success Nolan has already had with TDK and Inception, it wasn't all that unreasonable to hope for the same with Interstellar.

James Cameron has directed 7 movies.  3 of those were the highest grossing movies of their respective year.  True Lies was 3rd and Aliens was 7th.  

I love me some Nolan, but his credentials were boosted largely by Batman.  Cameron has done 2 sequels, but every thing else has been original.   That, in my opinion, makes his name go a lot further to selling a movie than Nolan's so far.  He doing good so far, but let's see when he gets a few more under his belt.

• Like 3

I was hoping for a better hold for Nightcrawler

Interstellar could end up #5 on biggest non-#1 debuts of all time.

If Dumb and Dumber 2 breaks out next weekend, Interstellar could be in trouble.  It needs to have a soft hold before Hunger Games.  I expect BH6 to have better legs and to beat out Interstellar domestically.  Interstellar: $215-225 ; BH6: $230-$240

You're expecting a 4.3 multiplier for Interstellar and a better one than for BH6?  I don't think so.

• Like 2

3.2x multiplier *is* good legs for a blockbuster these days, especially one without universal acclaim.

Yeah, but when was the last time we had a heavily adult driven blockbuster, aside from Gravity? My point is, a 3x multi is good for a normal blockbuster (say TF, POTC etc), but not for a movie that skews so much older. I see it making a 4x. Well, we'll just have to wait and see.