druv10

Tuesday Actuals: Nolan - 6.9M, BH6 - 10.5M

The increase for BH6 is not surprising. The last time November 11 was a holiday and on a Tuesday, Madagascar 2 increased 91%, and that was in 2008 before cheap Tuesdays became a big deal. 

Even using that as the comparison, the number for BH6 (if accurate) would be pretty surprising.  There is a BIG difference between 91% and 130%.

I think most folks doing estimates were high-balling it around 90%.  I don't think 130% was even on the table.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

The increase for BH6 is not surprising. The last time November 11 was a holiday and on a Tuesday, Madagascar 2 increased 91%, and that was in 2008 before cheap Tuesdays became a big deal. 

cheap Tuesday's are in Canada though and they don't have classes off. 

Even using that as the comparison, the number for BH6 (if accurate) would be pretty surprising.  There is a BIG difference between 91% and 130%.

I think most folks doing estimates were high-balling it around 90%.  I don't think 130% was even on the table.

He is making a valid point though. Madagascar 2 finished with less than a 3.0 multiplier and jumped 90% on the same day. That film dropped 80% on Wednesday. Hopefully BH6 can hold a lot better than that.

• Like 1

Brother Bear jumped over 100% the same Tuesday back in 2003

I didn't know that. So I guess Veteran's Day is a big deal for bumps in the weekday like this. Of course the difference is that Brother Bear only made a fraction of what BH6 is when it jumped that much, so BH6's jump is still much more impressive.

• Like 1

In my area, the high schools were off but the colleges still were open today. Either way though, if that 11.8m for BH6 holds, that's amazing. My sister, mother and I saw the movie today and it was amazing. I'm glad to have contributed in however much money the movie ends up making.

• Like 2

Yes, it would have increased around 20-25% because of cheap tuesdays, the other increase came from the holiday.

Hm.  I'm not sure how you're breaking that down.

Cheap Tuesdays would definitely be an influence in Canada, but keep in mind that if they're still in school, that leaves less possible showings available for them to attend.  Plus it's a school night so late-night showings aren't likely to be as full.  Plus, cheap Tuesday is... well... cheap.  You still have to account for the fact that there's less money per ticket, so it's not exactly the same PPT increase that you're getting.

Not that it's not an influence, but it may not be as significant a one when it comes to actual money rather than the attendance count (which undoubtedly increased due to lowered ticket costs).

Edited by Sal

cheap Tuesday's are in Canada though and they don't have classes off. 

There are theaters in the US that have discount Tuesdays. Now there maybe limitations like no discount on new releases, or on holidays in which case it wouldn't apply in this instance. But there are theaters in the U.S. that offer it.

• Like 1

Hm.  I'm not sure how you're breaking that down.

Cheap Tuesdays would definitely be an influence in Canada, but keep in mind that if they're still in school, that leaves less possible showings available for them to attend.  Plus it's a school night so late-night showings aren't likely to be as full.  Plus, cheap Tuesday is... well... cheap.  You still have to account for the fact that there's less money per ticket, so it's not exactly the same PPT increase that you're getting.

Cheap Tuesday increases for kids movies over the past year have been very consistent in the 20-25% range. No breaking it down needed, it is just from observing movie trends over the past year and a bit. Kids movies and family movies fall on Monday and increase on Tuesday. Adult targeting movies fall much lower on Monday and increase much lower on Tuesdays.

• Like 2

There are theaters in the US that have discount Tuesdays. Now there maybe limitations like no discount on new releases, or on holidays in which case it wouldn't apply in this instance. But there are theaters in the U.S. that offer it.

The theatres near us do, but they don't do it for new releases. According to the sign they have up, they're contractually obligated to not offer reduced prices for a certain amount of time after a movie releases (though it tends to only be the case with large studio movies rather than smaller releases).

You maybe right. WIR jumped 60% after a 79% drop on Monday while BH6 only dropped 68.5% and then jumped 130%. If that number is correct then WOM is coming into play early.

Not comparable, WIR's first Tuesday wasn't the 11th.

I must say I'm surprised at how many people don't know that Veteran's Day gives better holds/jumps than normal.

• Like 1