Fancyarcher

Wednesday Actuals: Nolan - 3.4, BH6 - 1.8M

The real question is will Interstellar manage a sub-40% drop this weekend. It needs at least $29 million for that.

I noticed something peculiar. Some IMAX theaters are only running Interstellar 3 times a day during the weekdays, but come the weekend they push it back up to 4 times a day. Makes sense since on weekdays people won't be able to make a super-late show due to work and school.

This is interesting though because it confirms that the long runtime somewhat limits weekday grosses, but this could be a great sign for weekend holds. With some theaters changing from 3 to 4 showings on the weekend, to me that's a good sign for holds. Taking a quick look at IMAX theaters across the country, ticket sales look strong for both Saturday and Sunday for virtually all showings.

Some of the old timers here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a similar thing *may* have been done for Titanic as well during its theatrical run (showtimes decreasing on weekdays, then increasing back up on weekends).

So I think this makes the weekday numbers so far for IS look a bit better given that many IMAX theaters are running decreased weekday showings.

• Like 1

I just looked at the same time frame last year, my 140% may actually be bit low. It could get 200% Friday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-11-15&track=thor2.htm

200% might be too high.  It's an older skewing demographic (75% over 25) and the weekday steadiness of IMAX probably keeps the amount it can jump in check especially since it's 25% of the box office.

• Like 1

Cant tell if you guys are being sarcastically hyperbolic, or if the drops were really that bad.

This is what you get when all the fun and games get out of hand on this forum. You lose the ability to tell what's genuine and what's not lol.

Lol FMpro, you know we could take that reply multiply ways good buddy hee hee :P.. Were you on the IS for glorius 300-400+M lock domestically and 1B-2B WW?

The predictions were crazy..

Yeah. I was never on that boat.

For me this was always a original Sci fi with a tee spoon on Nolan..

These are always hard to sell. And are only doing 50 mill OW because of Nolan..

Without him it would have done 25-30 mill

Completely in line with the last time Veteran's Day was on a Tues (and then there wasn't even Cheap Tues to also buoyed the box office)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2008-11-12&p=.htm

Yeah. Nothing to be worried about..

Its friday who's going to make it or break it

• Like 2

Some of the old timers here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a similar thing *may* have been done for Titanic as well during its theatrical run (showtimes decreasing on weekdays, then increasing back up on weekends).

I don't know about all that. The actual running time of Interstellar isn't 3 hours, it's three hours when you add in the trailers and if it's 15/70 IMAX, there aren't any trailers.

Fucking Titanic is 3:15 BEFORE trailers! So for scheduling purposes you looking at about 3:30, which is where I'm pretty sure we had it for the rerelease a couple of years ago.

Plus, when you have a movie on multiple screens, not every screen gets the same amount of shows. You want a nice even spread across the day, so when you have it on 2-3 screens, one screen will almost always have 1 less showtime than the other two. Especially when you're dealing with log run times.

• Like 2

assuming a decrease for Thursday to 3.24 for Interstellar, a Matrix Revolutions Friday increase of 139% would give Interstellar 7.75 for Friday.  if it expands to 39 more locations, it would have 3600 theaters and a Friday number of 7.83.  Matrix 3 increased 50%.  Give Interstellar 55% increase and 35% sunday decrease.  There you have it.  7.83 + 12.14 + 7.89 = 27.86 and $7,739 average.  +68.48 since Thursday = 96.34 million and a decrease of 41.3% - 42.5%.

Slightly lower than Thor2's first Wed.

Following Skyfall from that estimate gets it a $25.7 million weekend for a 46% drop and following TDW gets it a $34.8 million weekend for a 27% drop. Skyfall seems much more likely though I think with good Friday/Saturday boosts (longer runtime films do tend to get bigger boosts) it could near $29 million.

Thor The Dark World seems like a terrible comparison for Interstellar. Much more kid friendly and therefore worse weekday drops and bigger jumps on the weekend.

I noticed something peculiar. Some IMAX theaters are only running Interstellar 3 times a day during the weekdays, but come the weekend they push it back up to 4 times a day. Makes sense since on weekdays people won't be able to make a super-late show due to work and school.

This is interesting though because it confirms that the long runtime somewhat limits weekday grosses, but this could be a great sign for weekend holds. With some theaters changing from 3 to 4 showings on the weekend, to me that's a good sign for holds. Taking a quick look at IMAX theaters across the country, ticket sales look strong for both Saturday and Sunday for virtually all showings.

So I think this makes the weekday numbers so far for IS look a bit better given that many IMAX theaters are running decreased weekday showings.

There was a time when a  lot of multiplexes in the US that Mon-Thu they didn't have shows before 3-5p then Fri-Sun open all day, daytimes in particlular weekdays are very quiet  can often have 0 attendence or just couple people. These days they tend to just run sessions all day to give people the option of coming to see even if it may not be financially viable (bit more financially viable with digital as there isn't ,in most cases the additional overhead of paying for projectionists). The Imax screens especially ones can run 15/70 would have projectionists on duty

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 4

Ok, I take it back, that's actually a pretty big drop for IS.  Bigger than I thought it would be.  That's close to a 50% drop after it only went up by 30%.  No spin, that's not all that great.

• Like 2

So IS and BH6 dropped exactly what they were supposed to drop.  People don't really think these are anything but normal, do they?

I'm assuming all the wailing and gnashing of teeth in the first few posts is just being played for fun.

• Like 1