Fancyarcher

Wednesday Actuals: Nolan - 3.4, BH6 - 1.8M

I, ROBOT will have bigger weekend drops but better weekday numbers (due to summer). It looks likely like IS will comfortably outpace PROMETHEUS... we have yet to determine if it can catch I, ROBOT or MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS (another comp I'll be adding tomorrow). With M:R, IS should have much better legs, but it also has to overcome a 30m+ gap from the first five days.

Here's a fun comparison. Gravity was at close to $74m after its first Wednesday and made another $200m after that point. Interstellar is at $65m and needs another $100m to match the reported budget of $165m, so it needs to make 50% of Gravity's numbers the rest of the way.

• Like 3

Expected, but nevertheless hilarious drop for BH6.

Why is it hilarious?  It's very close to my estimate and pretty much to be expected for a kid's movie hitting midweek after a holiday.  I don't see people running around and freaking out over it or anything.

If there were people having meltdowns I could see how you might find that amusing, but it's been pretty bland in here really.

• Like 2

This thread would be more entertaining if it wasn't all anticipated beforehand.  We need a new release so we can have some freaking out over numbers.  I expect good things of the Mockingjay pt1 release.

• Like 1

Yeah Titanic does kinda defeat the long run-time excuse for movies, doesn't it?

Yes, ever since rare exceptions completely invalidated every rule, sure.

Besides, Titanic was like going to see a double feature--a visually-stunning period drama followed by an epic action movie with bodies flying everywhere and thumping into big metal objects. And somehow it even has cool Russian submersibles, too. It's almost unfair! ;)

Time to start the What Went Wrong BH6 thread...right?

School was what happened. So should we make an entire thread about how much we all hated school? I mean, I know we all did. Some of us might have liked the academic aspects, but getting beaten up every day for being dorks kinda sucked, amiright? Except for me, of course--I never got picked on cuz I'm not a dork like y'all.... ;) And it would be so ironic in regard to a movie that promotes school as being cool anyway.

Totally just kidding. 

Can't...read :bulgingeyes:...gonna disregard. ;)

If Interstellar does incredibly well everywhere else and only does middling numbers domestically it just kind of proves American audiences won't see anything that isn't superheroes these days.

Well, Frozen was really big...oh yeah, she had cryokinetic powers...never mind....

• Like 1

So why are we making that comparison with iRobot since it's a Summer release?

Because the end total is a decent goal for IS (either to match or surpass). There's very few good direct comparisons (same time of year, aimed more at adults, etc), though I'm open to suggestions.

Because the end total is a decent goal for IS (either to match or surpass). There's very few good direct comparisons (same time of year, aimed more at adults, etc), though I'm open to suggestions.

Well, Interstellar did already beat Lawrence of Arabia, so that is out as a comparison point.

Fun fact: Lawrence of Arabia is still the second highest grossing World War 1 movie. The number 1 is Warhorse. Do Americans just not like WW1 set movies or something?

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Lawrence of Arabia made around 450 million adjusted today, imagine a film like that making that much now lol.

But it wouldn't make half of that today.

It would be split into 2 movies

Lawrence of Arabia: The Unexpected Journey

Lawrence of Arabia: The Return of the King

• Like 13

I feel like that "it wouldnt make that today" argument goes both ways. We always say it to downplay past movies, but moviegoing tastes and movie styles have changed over time. I bet Gone Girl wouldve made more if it was 1994, adult thrillers were pretty strong, while something like World War Z wouldve made less in 1994. Sombies werent a fad. Hell, in the 90's Captain Phillips couldve landed at #1.

We always downgrade past movies, but its not like todays movies wouldve done any better. LoA may make half today than then, but at the same time, the Other Woman then couldve done double. It goes both ways.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 4

It depends I think grand epic films with a grand scope that are widely appealing would do well today.

They are just to expensive to make 

They can't be anymore expensive than the Lone Ranger and John Carter, lol.

• Like 4