Noctis

Weekend Actuals: D&D2 ($36.11m) BH6 ($34.66m) INTS ($28.31m)

Dumb and Dumber To's word of mouth is getting around quickly after that strong Friday night. Flixster is already down to a terrible 58% and still falling. This will finish at about 95 domestic.

It is still a success. Flixter and cinemascore are irrelevant.

• Like 2

What's with the overestimating this weekend? Sheesh.

Still way more than I thought Dumb and Dumber To would do. I suppose there is some star power left in Carrey. Wish he'd do another classic comedy instead of rehashes of old hits.

Well, BH6 estimated WiR's second Sunday drop forgetting that it was Veteran's day. DADT estimated numbers to reach 38M. No idea what happened with the IS estimate.

There is a less than zero percent chance of that happening at this point lol.

You are talking about Harvey Weinstein here. St Vincent is a rare taste of success for him amidst a year of bombs. He will milk the shit out of it during the holiday season. He will drain every dollar from it. 

You are talking about Harvey Weinstein here. St Vincent is a rare taste of success for him amidst a year of bombs. He will milk the shit out of it during the holiday season. He will drain every dollar from it. 

Unlikely. The plethora of movies that will be gobbling screens over the next few month assures it's gonna be pushed and shoved out of theaters in the weeks ahead, plus Harvey's just gonna move on to The Imitation Game (which is looking like a lock to be a major player at the Oscars) and Big Eyes.

Shame on Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey for shitting on the good reputation of Dumb and Dumber even more than Dumb and Dumberer did.

Never understood this mindset.  A sequel has no bearing on how good a previously related movie is. No matter how much someone like Dumb and Dumber To, Dumb & Dumber will always be a classic and the sequels can't change that.

It's like saying Jaws I ruined by Jaws 3 and Jaws 4.  Not in the least.

• Like 14

Still way more than I thought Dumb and Dumber To would do. I suppose there is some star power left in Carrey. Wish he'd do another classic comedy instead of rehashes of old hits.

Carrey may have lost his mojo doing dramas.   Gotta keep those comedy chops up to do what he used to do.   It isn't easy...any comic can do drama without any trouble....dramatic actors rarely are able to step into a comedy and excel.    I knew Carrey was a great actor all along, but I think he felt like he needed to "prove himself" to Hollywood since they only appreciate drama.

Never understood this mindset.  A sequel has no bearing on how good a previously related movie is. No matter how much someone like Dumb and Dumber To, Dumb & Dumber will always be a classic and the sequels can't change that.

It's like saying Jaws I ruined by Jaws 3 and Jaws 4.  Not in the least.

Yeah, I prefer to just pretend bad sequels don't exist. :)

• Like 2

Shame on Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey for shitting on the good reputation of Dumb and Dumber even more than Dumb and Dumberer did.

I thought it was hilarious. So did the 3 people who went with me. Not sure why so many are dumping on it. Nothing more subjective than comedy, though...

• Like 3

I thought it was hilarious. So did the 3 people who went with me. Not sure why so many are dumping on it. Nothing more subjective than comedy, though...

Yeah My co-worker was just talking about how much she enjoyed the movie as well.

• Like 1

Bad/mediocre sequels do not hurt good movies in the long run. As the years progress, the sequels are forgotten and the original endures. I don't think Joe/Jane Average gives much thought to the existence of The Lost World: Jurassic Park, or Jaws: The Revenge, or Alien: Resurrection, or Caddyshack II, or Vegas Vacation...

Edited by TServo2049

Bad/mediocre sequels do not hurt good movies in the long run. As the years progress, the sequels are forgotten and the original endures. I don't think Joe/Jane Average gives much thought to the existence of The Lost World: Jurassic Park, or Jaws: The Revenge, or Alien: Resurrection, or Caddyshack II, or Vegas Vacation...

I agree with your point, but The Lost World should not be mentioned with those turds. It is a highly intertaining, underrated film.

After this weekend's actuals, INTERSTELLAR is now firmly ahead of PROMETHEUS by $7,577170 (and barring a complete catastrophe shouldn't have any problem extending its lead). It's now barely ahead of I, ROBOT by $1,803,722 and will be touch-and-go over the next several days, probably. It's still $17,341,478 behind MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS but given that movie's terrible legs, it's only a matter of time before INTERSTELLAR catches it.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

As someone who thinks Dumb & Dumber is the greatest comedy I've ever seen, in some ways it was going to be tougher for someone like me to be satisfied.  I was entertained, and there were some great moments, but as a whole I was disappointed.  Too much gross out type humor that went much farther above the original.  Lloyd and Harry were a both a little more mean-spirited than I would have liked to seen.

In my mind it would like following up an undefeated season with a 9-7 record.  Entertaining enough but not great.

• Like 2

After this weekend's actuals, INTERSTELLAR is now firmly ahead of PROMETHEUS by $7,577170 (and barring a complete catastrophe shouldn't have any problem extending its lead). It's now barely ahead of I, ROBOT by $1,803,722 and will be touch-and-go over the next several days, probably. It's still $17,341,478 behind MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS but given that movie's terrible legs, it's only a matter of time before INTERSTELLAR catches it.

So where do expect it to finish now DOM? $180M+? Or, closer to $165M+?

I thought it was a good movie. It was very enjoyable and funny. I am glad I saw it in the movie theater.