kayumanggi

MONDAY NUMBERS | 11.17.2014 | 2.07 M DUMB AND DUMBER TO

Poor Monday for D&D2. Good for IS and fine for BH6. I see at least a 55% drop this weekend for D&D2.

Weak WOM is doing severe damage to D and D 2's legs. Film will still make a good profit because it only cost 40 Million to make (Carrey took a huge salary cut to get it made) but a 3rd film is up in the air.

• Like 1

2014 comedies

22 Jump St - 192

Neighbors - 150

Ride Along - 135

Tammy - 85

The Other Woman - 84

Lets Be Cops - 82

Think Like A Man Too - 65

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 59

Blended - 46

A Million Ways To Die In The West - 43

Sex Tape - 39

If DADT can get above Tammy, that seems like it would be a good result.

2014 comedies

22 Jump St - 192

Neighbors - 150

Ride Along - 135

Tammy - 85

The Other Woman - 84

Lets Be Cops - 82

Think Like A Man Too - 65

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 59

Blended - 46

A Million Ways To Die In The West - 43

Sex Tape - 39

If DADT can get above Tammy, that seems like it would be a good result.

Frankly the same could be said for Horrible Bosses 2. With the competition it's gonna face, I think a drop from the first one is in order.

Weak WOM is doing severe damage to D and D 2's legs. Film will still make a good profit because it only cost 40 Million to make (Carrey took a huge salary cut to get it made) but a 3rd film is up in the air.

Carrey didn't take a salary cut.  He's lucky to be working right now.  That's not hyperbole either.  He's not exactly in demand anymore and his films certainly don't make money.  

Speaking of MILLION WAYS TO DIE, Universal is now officially promoting it during Oscar season. :lol:

While not a great comedy, I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I was surprised it got panned so badly.

• Like 1

Carrey didn't take a salary cut.  He's lucky to be working right now.  That's not hyperbole either.  He's not exactly in demand anymore and his films certainly don't make money.  

Mr. Popper's Penguins $187M worldwide, $119M foreign

A Christmas Carol $325M worldwide, $187M foreign

Yes Man $223M worldwide, $125M foreign.

Kick-ass 2 or Burt Wonderstone I don't consider Jim Carrey movies, since he only had glorified cameos in both of them. Allthough I admit I was shocked how big of a bomb Wonderstone turned out to be considering the cast.

The right project starring Jim Carrey is still pretty much guaranteed to do $100M+ overseas, even a turd like that penguin movie made $120M overseas. Carrey is still a huge beloved star all over the world.

Jim Carrey's supposed "fall from grace" or "career freefall" is so over exaggerated. What happened was he took three years off to paint or something, and he probably did those two cameos just for fun or to please his agent or as a favor, who knows.

But he's back now, and DDT will end up with $200M+ worldwide easily, and if he chooses his next project carefully that too will be a hit, mark my words.

INTERSTELLAR daily comps:

$7,180,656 ahead of PROMETHEUS (slight gain by PROM)

$1,449,904 ahead of I, ROBOT (slight gain by I, ROBOT)

-16,240,565 behind M: REVOLUTIONS (solid gain by INTERSTELLAR)

Just noticed a potentially good comparison: Thor 2. Not for total gross but for remaining gross on a day to day basis. They came out at pretty much the same time and both face a Hunger Games sequel in their third weekend. Thor 2 made $2.2m on its second Monday. Interstellar is right behind it at $2.15m.

If Interstellar follows Thor 2 the rest of the way, it will make another $59m and finish with $158m. Thor 2 was hit hard by the release of Catching Fire. Will be interesting to see how Interstellar holds up in comparison. It doesn't lose IMAX screens to Hunger Games, whereas Thor 2 did.

• Like 2

Just noticed a potentially good comparison: Thor 2. Not for total gross but for remaining gross on a day to day basis. They came out at pretty much the same time and both face a Hunger Games sequel in their third weekend. Thor 2 made $2.2m on its second Monday. Interstellar is right behind it at $2.15m.

If Interstellar follows Thor 2 the rest of the way, it will make another $59m and finish with $158m. Thor 2 was hit hard by the release of Catching Fire. Will be interesting to see how Interstellar holds up in comparison. It doesn't lose IMAX screens to Hunger Games, whereas Thor 2 did.

THOR 2 had pretty lousy legs, though. I think INTERSTELLAR will hold better. Tomorrow I'm going to add GRAVITY (60%) as a comp. That seems like a pretty decent track, for now.

THOR 2 had pretty lousy legs, though. I think INTERSTELLAR will hold better. Tomorrow I'm going to add GRAVITY (60%) as a comp. That seems like a pretty decent track, for now.

Were the legs really that bad after the second weekend? Look at Thanksgiving weekend. Percentage drop very similar to Gravity, which was much further into its run and had incredible WOM.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2013&wknd=48&p=.htm