Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

Two people bothered to make predictions in the Thursday thread, since we were so bored:

23IsEverywhere, on 29 Nov 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

MJ1-$23.2M
Penguins-$8.5M
HB2-$5.8M
BH6-$7.4M
Interstellar-$7M
DaD2-$3.6M

kitik, on 29 Nov 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

I'll guess:

MJ1 - 23.6

Penguins - 9.4

BH6 - 7.3

Interstellar - 6.2

HB2 - 5.8

That's a super small sample size, but I think it's fair to say most numbers came in a little above expectations.

There are 2 logical reasons:

1. Better weather on Friday possibly made up for bad weather on Wednesday and Thursday. Though I honestly don't know if the change was that significant. And of course there's always good weather somewhere and bad weather someplace else.

2. I saw an early report that said shopping on Friday was down. They attributed it to more stores opening up Thursday night, and more folks opting for online shopping. Don't know how accurate or final that report was, but those 2 explanations sure seem to make some sense.

If shopping was indeed down on Friday, than those 2 causes are just going to be more and more of a factor in the years ahead.

Black Friday could become an even bigger movie-going Friday in the future.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's limited in LA or NY (or both) and the Oscar talk might draw a lot of people working in the industry.

Most films that only open in 4 theaters are usually limited to NY and/or LA. And most of the awards-buzz ones still don't open to over 100K average.

• Like 1

Their next movie, Home, is gonna bomb very badly.

it will be their Mars Needs Moms, but that studio was owned by Disney, so it could afford to burn money

DreamWorks can't - they only get cheaper and cheaper for the studio that acquires them

Did you expect it to drop?

I expected it to drop 1-2% or stay flat. It's not much of a diference that it increased with 1-2% over my prediction, but it's still good. US audience has a different reaction to that movie than overseas audience.

• Like 1

I expected it to drop 1-2% or stay flat. It's not much of a diference that it increased with 1-2% over my prediction, but it's still good. US audience has a different reaction to that movie than overseas audience.

The way your post made it sound though is you were talking about the Friday alone.  That's why it was weird.  All films increased on the Friday.

• Like 2

The way your post made it sound though is you were talking about the Friday alone.  That's why it was weird.  All films increased on the Friday.

Oh, sorry. I meant the overall weekend ^^

• Like 1