grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Given Spielberg's involvement, I'd be shocked if any review embargo is in place for Ready Player One.

I know there's a vocal backlash against the novel on this forum and perhaps on the internet in general (because... reasons? Again, as I've said before: if you read it as the YA fiction it clearly seems to be but somehow wasn't published as, it's a pretty solid read), but the source material screams "blockbuster!" and yet it feels like the ad campaign hasn't lived up to that potential. With the novel's popularity and Spielberg's drawing power, I feel like this film's release should be a way, way bigger deal. Then again, I'm also a Spielberg nut who believed in The Post's potential to surpass $100 million until it fizzled out past a point where such a total would have been impossible, so...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

UK previews are on 19th March.

I’m going to a secret screening on Tuesday, so if that’s not RPO I’ll book tickets. 

Cineworld don't do secret screenings for movies they're already doing unlimited screenings for, what would be the point of doing it twice??

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Given Spielberg's involvement, I'd be shocked if any review embargo is in place for Ready Player One.

I know there's a vocal backlash against the novel on this forum and perhaps on the internet in general (because... reasons? Again, as I've said before: if you read it as the YA fiction it clearly seems to be but somehow wasn't published as, it's a pretty solid read), but the source material screams "blockbuster!" and yet it feels like the ad campaign hasn't lived up to that potential. With the novel's popularity and Spielberg's drawing power, I feel like this film's release should be a way, way bigger deal. Then again, I'm also a Spielberg nut who believed in The Post's potential to surpass $100 million until it fizzled out past a point where such a total would have been impossible, so...

Well that takes us back to the point that I really don't believe Spielberg has had true box office draw power for a decade or so. His box office record this decade attests to that. Also, for the book supposedly being so popular, I had never even remotely heard of it prior to this movie's announcement. Definitely not like something like Da Vinci Code, Twilight, Hunger Games, Gone Girl, 50 Shades, etc which I had definitely heard lots about the books prior to the films' announcements. 

Edited by MovieMan89

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

to the point that I really don't believe Spielberg has had true box office draw power for a decade or so. His box office record this decade attests to that

I do not know I feel like all is 2010 release do significantly less without him as the director except for is Family movie output BFG. Lincoln was a domestic monster and except for BFG they all did very very well in a world that those kind of movies often do not.

But that could irrelevant, he may still be a good draw among the older audience not sure it can help a movie like RPO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I do not know I feel like all is 2010 release do significantly less without him as the director except for is Family movie output BFG. Lincoln was a domestic monster and except for BFG they all did very very well in a world that those kind of movies often do not.

But that could irrelevant, he may still be a good draw among the older audience not sure it can help a movie like RPO.

The BFG would have done lot better had been released say in August or even November but I think his contract stipulated that the film had to be released on the 4th July or the holiday season. RPO is the first time one of his big films hasn't debuted in the Summer or Christmas,

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Assuming WB is confident in this movie, I definitely think it would serve them well to allow reviews for the movie to be released early. This is a movie that’s going to need good word of mouth in order to do well. 

Releasing reviews early can backfire as we saw with War for the Planet of Apes, X-Men Apocalypse and even Spielberg's own The BFG. I could see WB releasing the reactions on Monday then dropping the review embargo a week later.

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Sounds like WB are confident people will like it if they releasing reactions after the premiere, weird that it's 1am not 12am since the premiere is at 2130 ET

I think the screening is at 21:30 Central Time being that it's in Austin.

• Like 1