grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

19 hours ago, DAJK said:

and there was a large chunk after the first act where it took me a bit to get back into it. 

I agree, I thought it was a lot of fun and would definitely watch it again but this is what happened to me too. Started to get those Avatar vibes and wondered why I had hyped this up so much in my head. Thankfully the film found itself again but I definitely wish there had been stronger characters.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

No way the Berg comes back more like he takes and EP credit and Colin Trevorrow takes over 

Truth, you speak it.  Well, dunno about the Treverrow part.  Spielberg has lots of friends.

Still, very solid run for this movie.  I enjoyed it, not as much as I was hoping, but when it does it’s blockbuster thing, it’s really good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Truth, you speak it.  Well, dunno about the Treverrow part.  Spielberg has lots of friends.

Still, very solid run for this movie.  I enjoyed it, not as much as I was hoping, but when it does it’s blockbuster thing, it’s really good.

WB could look at the list of directors they had to direct RPO and ask one of them if Spielberg doesn't do the sequel, I'm sure Zemeckis or Wright would be interested. 

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WB could look at the list of directors they had to direct RPO and ask one of them if Spielberg doesn't do the sequel, I'm sure Zemeckis or Wright would be interested. 

I could buy Zemeckis.  Dubious on Wright (unless he’s said something about the property I’m unaware of).

28 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

170 Total

Hmm, I’ll need to see those dailies this week pull ahead of Kong for me to think 170 is happening.  But that first weekend drop...yeah, believable.

Edited by kowhite

-75% Monday, +25% Tuesday, Monday = Wednesday = Thursday = approx. 103.75 after Thursday.

16.25 3rd weekend (-34%), 120 Total.

125 after weekdays 4/16-4/19.  

11.0 4th weekend, 139 w/ weekdays 4/23-4/26

5th weekend, Infinity War opens....

- Infinity War

- Feel Pretty

- Quiet Ones

- Rampage

- Traffik

- Super Troopers

- Isle of Dogs

- Truth or Dare

- Ready Player One - 6.5 (-41%) - 146 Total

- Blockers

- I Can Only Imagine

- Black Panther

- Chappaquiddick

3rd weekend of Borg vs McEnroe and Sergeant Stubby to drop 50%+ theater counts likely.

+ an expansion or two

6th weekend, first weekend of May

- Infinity War

- Bad Samaritan

- Tulley

- Overboard

- Quiet Ones

- Feel Pretty

- Rampage

- Ready Player One - 4.0 - 152 Total

- Isle of Dogs

- Traffik

- Super Troopers

- Blockers

- Truth or Dare

RP1 7th weekend, Mothers Day weekend

- Infinity War

- Life of the Party

- Breaking In

- Tulley

- Quiet Ones

- Feel Pretty

- Bad Samaritan

- Overboard

- Rampage

- Ready Player One - 2.8 - 156 total

- Isle of Dogs

- Traffik

RP1 8th weekend, Deadpool opens

- Deadpool

- Book Club

- Show Dogs

- Infinity War

- Life of the Party

- Breaking In

- Tulley

- Quiet Ones

- Ready Player One - 1.4 - 158 total

- Feel Pretty

- Rampage

- Isle of Dogs

Memorial Day weekend

- Solo

- Deadpool

- Book Club

- Show Dogs

- Infinity War

- Life of the Party

- Breaking In

- Quiet Ones

- Ready Player One - 1.0 - 160 total.

- Tulley

- Rampage

- Feel Pretty

- Isle of Dogs

On the talk of a sequel, everyone here that has pushed back so hard on Tomb Raider's sequel chances should realize this is in a virtually identical boat. Both movies will finish with around 3x their budgets WW, but only about 0.65x their budgets DOM. And this was a way bigger investment than TR, so there's more at stake. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the talk of a sequel, everyone here that has pushed back so hard on Tomb Raider's sequel chances should realize this is in a virtually identical boat. Both movies will finish with around 3x their budgets WW, but only about 0.65x their budgets DOM. And this was a way bigger investment than TR, so there's more at stake. 

The reception could be the difference maker, though..

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

150-175M. Will come close to full budget coverage domestic and unlike Wrinkle in Time it will actually earn good money OS as well.

Who said anything about it being comparable to WiT? And I've never once heard the $150m number. $175m was what was reported for a long time, but more recent reports were suggesting 200m. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

5th weekend, Infinity War opens....

- Infinity War

- Feel Pretty

- Quiet Ones

- Rampage

- Traffik

- Super Troopers

- Isle of Dogs

- Truth or Dare

- Ready Player One - 6.5 (-41%) - 146 Total

- Blockers

- I Can Only Imagine

- Black Panther

- Chappaquiddick

3rd weekend of Borg vs McEnroe and Sergeant Stubby to drop 50%+ theater counts likely.

+ an expansion or two

That's pretty optimistic when IW might open closer to 300M than 250M :jeb!: I don't think anything is dropping under 50% that weekend; if something does, it'll only be by a few percentage points.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

One of them died domestically, the other one didn't. Not really on the same boat in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's pretty optimistic when IW might open closer to 300M than 250M :jeb!: I don't think anything is dropping under 50% that weekend; if something does, it'll only be by a few percentage points.

but when people go to the movies, they go to the movies.

2 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:but when people go to the movies, they go to the movies.

Movies in the top 12 that dropped under 50% against the top openers (expansions excluded):

The Force Awakens: Mockingjay (-48.1%), Spotlight (-43.2%)

The Last Jedi: Coco (-46.1%), Wonder (-38.1%), Daddy's Home (-35.6%), Lady Bird (-39.2%)

Jurassic World: Spy (-46.3%), Pitch Perfect 2 (-15.5%), Fury Road (-48.1%), Age of Ultron (-42%), Love and Mercy (-21.2%)

Black Panther: Everything except Fifty Shades, Maze Runner, and Winchester

Age of Ultron: Cinderella (-0.7%)

Civil War: The Jungle Book (-44%), Mothers Day (+32.5%), Zootopia (-39.7%), MBFGW2 (-41.8%), Eye in the Sky (-38.3%)

Many of these had double features or were still only a few points below 50%. Age of Ultron's weekend is probably the most damning comp with only a Disney movie dropping under 50%. The only blockbuster from a different studio than the opener to drop less than 45% was AOU on JW's weekend.

• Like 1