grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Prequels Trilogy CGI >>>>>> Ready Player One CGI

That s a 19, 16 & 13 year gap.

ILM had to de-evolve to match the mediocrity of this whole project.

Yup.

And you know it.

Insert that Jack Nicholson meme about the truth.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

36 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Yup.

And you know it.

:apocalypse:

This is just trolling. Even if you didn't like the film, RPO has fantastic VFX work. I was very impressed.

Edited by HockeyPads
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Yup.

And you know it.

So many things wrong in this post

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The CGI most definitely did look dated here - particularly their avatars - but it was just serviceable enough that it didn't detract. It better not be up for any VFX noms though. 

That's not the CGI, that's the art design you didn't like. The actual vfx and CGI work is amazing and top notch. 

I would be surprised if this wasn't up for any VFX noms.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, HockeyPads said:

That's not the CGI, that's the art design you didn't like. The actual vfx and CGI work is amazing and top notch. 

Considering I liked the art design, I'm pretty sure it's the CGI I'm talking about...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Considering I liked the art design, I'm pretty sure it's the CGI I'm talking about...

It's literally a videogame, that's the whole point of why the CGI looks like that...

ojBNv.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Thanks 1

God, the Shay pretty much had it with the mothereffing game movies!!

Fucking hate them.

All the game "culture" and all the disgusting details that go with it - stay out of the big screen, in the nerd realms of game-computers. blargh

That said, this movie really made fun of the gamer idiots, lol. Like really spit on them. What a bunch of pathetic lifeless losers!! :) But as pointed above, it just had to be ugly, to match its games origin - and as a result, is an ugly useless wasted movie.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HockeyPads said:

"Top notch CG"?

The Oasis concept is Sims/Second Life with upgraded graphics that was the rage 5 years ago, propelled by standard perfcap already nailed on Tintin back in 2011. Everything screams "dated" in the concept and execution. There's nothing groundbreaking nor cutting edge about RPO's CGI, this is pretty much the run-of-the mill standard currently in the VFX industry you'd see in TV commercials. Something ILM does in its sleep. "Top notch CG" is the latest Planet Of The Apes. (Hell, the whole Transformers series have better CGI than anything in RPO)

The Oasis CG is doomed to be dated by default from the get-go because the concept sets out to replicate a certain videogame aesthetics from a certain point in time to set it apart from the live action footage, that will be outdated by the next gen of videogame computer graphics.

It's interesting that the most outstanding CGI are actually

- Recreating the Overlook Hotel's geography and Kubrick's cinematography down to a T, then inserting CG characters in Shining scenes from original angles and imaginary reverse angles. What Zemeckis basically did with Forrest Gump back in 1994 when he inserted Tom Hanks in existing archival footage. (RPO is oddly influenced with Zemeckis movie stylings and recurrences as much as, if not more than Spielberg's. The whole perfcap thing, BTTF meta-references and props, using cutting edge technology to insert fictional characters in other existing pop culture narratives like Forrest Gump and BTTF trilogy or explore events from different angles like I Wanna Hold Your Hand about characters obsessed about/meeting with The Beatles and The Walk from Phillippe Petit's POV. RPO is a Spielberg mod with a Zemeckis skin).

- The whole de-aging but Lola VFX is already a standard in movies.

- Also, when the characters visit the "memories" center. It's like the Minority Report's reading pre-cog "memories of the future" sequence except when you can rewind/forward/zoom in/zoom out live footage manipulated by the character within a 3D-360° environment at will.

(Well, if you don't account that the movie Click kinda already tried to visualize that kind of conceptual sequence back in 2006 with less advanced technology so that's not "never seen before in cinema" territory either).

Edited by dashrendar44

ILM artists were seeing psychiatrists  during this show, each studio note saying the same, over and over again :

make it look more video-game-y, from 15 years ago, it s VR !!!!!!

The horror, the horror ...

Think about what they have to go through.

:(:(

I do like the fact one of the most hideous CGI movie ever put out on screens is championned by CGI haters/detractors/skeptics/I pray to the altar of practical effects, Mad Max Fury Road was awesome or what ?.

It s almost poetic.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I do like the fact one of the most hideous CGI movie ever put out on screens is championned by CGI haters/detractors/skeptics/I pray to the altar of practical effects, Mad Max Fury Road was awesome or what ?.

It s almost poetic.

I guess that's Spielberg's genius making an indictment how that whole generation X bitching about remakes and CG-fests ruining their childhood is pretty much fickle and shallow by making the most backhanded fan service movie ever, nerdgasming over CG recreations of their favourite eighties toys/movies clashing in a Bayhem chaos. ("CG sucks!...OMG A CG DELOREAN, YAAAS!<3"). That irony is magical.

Edited by dashrendar44

Not seen the movie yet, but that sound a little bit like a misunderstanding of what most people dislike about CGI, a bit like saying you dislike CGI but you watch Pixar movies and play video games !?!

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2