grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I was deceived again, by crafty trailer producers 😂..

The nostalgic characters displayed all over the trailers only appeared at the car race in the beginning, and the third act. 

99% of the movie is about the 3-4 main characters, and their generic avatars.

...so that was a slight disappointment, but overall, I give it a B+. Awesome action scene in the beginning, and third act.

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this fact.

Hide contents

When you know Aech is Helen and look back to the 237 room of The Shining, Steven actually hinted that she is a lesbian.

yeah I was going to bring that up myself and since this could be a book spoiler too

Spoiler

in the book, she is a lesbian.  I think that scene was to say she is a lesbian without having to announce it in so many words.

Just now, filmlover said:

Non-spoilery observation: it was weird how T.J. Miller was the only one of the main cast we didn't see outside of his avatar. I'm guessing his scenes in the real world were cut following his allegations?

maybe. maybe not but if that were true and they didn't want the movie associated with him it would've been so easy to dub his voice. i'm not sure what a real life scene with him would've added. 

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Non-spoilery observation: it was weird how T.J. Miller was the only one of the main cast we didn't see outside of his avatar. I'm guessing his scenes in the real world were cut following his allegations?

It's a good question but then again, as was pointed out above, what scene from him would have added something to the movie?

Maybe....

Spoiler

A comical scene with him right after his avatar was killed reacting to it in a funny way, saying something about his neck problems or whatever? Maybe they even filmed something like that but I can't imagine the scene not being a bit of a cliché.

Edited by Arlborn

Saw this in Dolby Atmos today, the first hour is a mess, but then just as I was going to give up on it, the mess gained clarity. So even as the cacophony of images assaulting your senses never lets up, it gets ... better, and is at its best at the end. 

Good enough for a solid "B" rating.

Also, if you are a fan of movie scores, stick around for the end credits, after the closing Hall & Oates song "You make my Dreams" ends, after that comes a several-minutes long orchestral score which is excellent, arguably outstanding. It plays through the entirety of the deep credits. 

Just now, KeepItU25071906 said:

finally have seen it

Very solid. 

Scene-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named 10/10

Trying to avoid spoilers here, but when I saw the WEAPON I really hoped there would be a cameo by JN

• Like 1