Noctis

Christmas Numbers: Unbroken 15.59, ITW 15.1, BOFTA 13.1, NATM 7.35 (official estimates) | full BOM list on p22

I watched Savage Grace for the first time today (while I was posting those gifs lol). I didn't like it. It reminded me of the FAR superior Reversal of Fortune: true crime among creepy rich white society people in the '70s and '80s. 

But this is great -- everyone watch it! 

Edited by Boogie Nights

It's uncommon but not completely rare. I was holding my breath to see if it would happen with Unbroken and it did, albeit mildly- polite applause and a few woops.

I've only been to one movie where the audience clapped at the end, Captain EO

• Like 1

WOW!!
“Armies” was heading for as much as $44 million for the three days, $57 million for the four days and a 12-day total hitting $170 million.

“Unbroken” and “Into the Woods” generated solid second-day totals in the $12 million to $14 million range. Angelina Jolie’s war drama could finish the four days with as much as $52 million while four-day estimates for “Into the Woods” ranged from $46 million to $49 million.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-interview-heads-for-3-million-weekend-hobbit-unbroken-woods-surging-1201387589/

• Like 1

The drop for The Interview is hardly surprising--the fervor around watching in a theater was specific to Christmas Day, more casual viewers are bound to go for the VOD option. 

20% would be hefty for Woods and Unbroken relative to 2008 and 2003 comparisons, but they're obviously both in good standing. 

Some legitimate great WOM must be kicking in for TH3 with these holds. Happy to see the franchise won't go out on a low note at least.

Wow at Mockingjay actually outgrossing Catching Fire's Xmas Day gross by 100k or so. That's a mighty impressive feat given the near 40m OW gross difference and both being at the same points in their runs. If it continued to gross roughly the same numbers as CF from here out it would hit 345m. Not that I'm saying it will, but it's a possibility now.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just curious, is clapping at the end of movies a common thing in American theaters? Always hear it mentioned. Never seen it happen once in the UK, however good a film is.

People are more restraint in Europe in general. Never had clapping at the end of a movie with the excection of one time, a preview screening of Titanic.