Ezen Baklattan

The Boss (former title Michelle Darnell) (April 8, 2016) - Melissa McCarthy

5 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Her whole act revolves around being fat. The GA caught up to her crap already.

LOL did you even see either The Heat or Spy? None of the humor in either of those movies revolved at all around her weight.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Not surprised. Seems like her best comedies come from Paul Feig. Although from the looks of it Ghostbusters may be excluded. 

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The rotten tomatoes is looking like garbage.

Still, it's not like critics like her other movies. It still has a shot at #1 this weekend.

Reviews won't effect the opening at all. Its McCarthy nobody cares about the reviews

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

They apparently don't seem to affect the legs either :lol:

Her movies tend to skew older, which is a large part of the reason. The 5 screen theater that typically shows indie and older-skewing mainstream releases in the shopping plaza where I work usually gets her movies, including Spy last year (they aren't going to be showing The Boss, though).

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Holy fuck, I just noticed now that Spy got a 3.8x multiple in the middle of summer, with at least $23m, this has chances at surpassing Tammy..... 7 movies above $80m since her break out back in 2011, there's a woman in America that is a bigger draw than Melissa these days?

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

:mellow: forgetting someone Ralph?

It's official.

McCarthy > Lawrence in BO draw.

I think it will open below 20M but she did heavy promotion for the movie though plus she announced on Ellent that she is finally appearing on the Gilmore Girls Netflix movies so that's added coverage for her (the timing is perfect, maybe a PR strategy). We will see but I don't see it going over 100M. Maybe close to Tammy

Edited by forg

Take this with a grain of salt, but it's nice when my theatre gets more business than it expected. We have a high school soccer tourney in town so a few teams came to The Boss, as well as (I think) a seniors group or something. Add in the general audience and The Boss is going to have a Thursday preview number anywhere from 4.2-4.7+ here which is crazy for the type of movie.

4 hours ago, forg said:

I think it will open below 20M but she did heavy promotion for the movie though plus she announced on Ellent that she is finally appearing on the Gilmore Girls Netflix movies so that's added coverage for her (the timing is perfect, maybe a PR strategy). We will see but I don't see it going over 100M. Maybe close to Tammy

I totally think it's a PR trick. It can't be a coincidence that they figured a way for her to return to Gilmore the same day her new movie opens. Specially one that she wrote, produced, and stars.

She wanted to take advantage of the power of a dedicated fandom, which is fair game, I guess.

Edited by The47th