LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Hopefully this holds tomorrow. It seems like every year movies seem to drop on Sunday just as every other Sunday in January. I think NFL plays a big part in those drops. It doesn't make sense. MLK is a national holiday, Sunday numbers should be way better.

The NFL shouldn't really have an impact. There's only a few teams still playing so the fans of all the other teams would have lost all interest.

• Like 1

I hope Mockinjay 1 holds the 2014 #1 title still though.

Pretty interesting that it might end up being a war movie vs. an anti-war movie.

Also the race for 2014's crown has actually been quite a nailbiter. First GOTG vs MJ1 and now MJ1 vs AS.

There is a whole bunch of weird 6 degrees of separation going on with the potential top movies of 2014. 

• Like 1

The NFL shouldn't really have an impact. There's only a few teams still playing so the fans of all the other teams would have lost all interest.

That's not how the NFL works. Everyone still watches even when their team is out of it. Part of that has to do with gambling and part of that is because the NFL is so popular.

• Like 3

It's still fucking mindblowing to me that Passion made nearly 400M. How did that happen?

Keep in mind that didn't perform like an R-rated movie at all. Church groups organized screenings. Parents took their children. The religious element of the phenomenon made it a completely different beast. 

That's not how the NFL works. Everyone still watches even when their team is out of it. Part of that has to do with gambling and part of that is because the NFL is so popular.

Plus it's the postseason. If you're a fan you watch it even if your team isn't in it. That applies to all the big sports.

• Like 1

350m+ will happen

I'm gonna remain cautious of that for the time being, but if American Sniper beats Mockingjay for #1 of 2014 AND takes the R-rated record from Passion of the Christ... oh man... I'll never be more surprised/impressed by another BO performance ever again.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

Last year both games had 50M and 55M viewers respectively. All movies continued to decrease 30%+ despite the Monday holiday. If NFL hasn't been hitting the box office on MLK Sunday then something else has.

• Like 2

Weinstein company is only good at promoting Oscar-bait movies. They killed so many movies last year but the way they treated Snowpiercer and Begin Again was simply horrible. Both movies had $50 millions+ theatrical potential.

I agree. I wanted to see Snow Piercer really bad in the theater, it was just never released in any near me. I finally got to catch it, on Netflix of all things.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that didn't perform like an R-rated movie at all. Church groups organized screenings. Parents took their children. The religious element of the phenomenon made it a completely different beast. 

That's just awful.

• Like 5

In fact Frozen dropped 24% last year on Sunday while all other movies in the top 10 dropped 35%+ (slightly larger than other Sundays in January).

Considering AS is rated R, who knows what kinda drop it will have. Anything less than 30% would be shocking.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 2

That's just awful.

It basically turned into a freakin' tent revival in places. I know my local newspaper had an article interviewing the parents who dragged their kids to see it, and subtly gave them the stink-eye while the parents justified their decision. 

I would be very pleased to see that record fall, mainly due to dislike for the director. 

Another thing people are really looking over is how much of a bankable star Bradley Cooper is becoming.

Movies he's in that we're hits

American Sniper

Guardians of the Galaxy

American Hustle (150m)

The Hangover Franchise

Silver Linings Playbook

Limitless

The A-Team

Valentine's Day

Yes Man

He's Just Not That Into You

Failure to Launch

Wedding Crashers

Out of his 21 movies 11 adjust to over 100m.

His only flops/misfires are Case 39, The Words, The Rocker, and All About Steve, all of which were early in his career.

He's had a medioric rise but it's paid off. I can't believe this is the same guy from Hangover.
  • Like 2

It's still fucking mindblowing to me that Passion made nearly 400M. How did that happen?

It took a huge bible story and actually targeted it towards Christians. Opposed to Noah and Exodus, which took huge bible stories and tried to target Christians as little as possible.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1