CJohn

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE | Sep 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 15

I'm actually interested to see how this does at the box office now. 

The Hitman's Bodyguard didn't get good reviews and still had a good run because audiences seemed to like it. 

I wonder if a similar situation will happen here where critics see it one way and then the audiences see it another? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard didn't get good reviews and still had a good run because audiences seemed to like it. 

I wonder if a similar situation will happen here where critics see it one way and then the audiences see it another? 

Hitman'sBodyGuard is not going to make a 100mil. Also the two movies aren't connected in any way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's a sequel, it's bound to be frontloaded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Hitman'sBodyGuard is not going to make a 100mil. Also the two movies aren't connected in any way.

What does that have to do with anything? It's going to get a 3.8x probably and make over $200M WW. Not everything is about hitting $100M domestic. 

And I know they're not related but they're both R-rated action comedies so they target the same audience. 

Edited by Nova

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

What does that have to do with anything? It's going to get a 3.8x probably and make over $200M WW. Not everything is about hitting $100M domestic. 

And I know they're not related but they're both R-rated action comedies so they target the same audience. 

You keep treating them like they are related. Just because one poorly reviewed original movie thrived in an empty August does not mean that a poorly reviewed sequel is going to thrive against actual competition.

I remember when DC fans said that Man of Steel and BvS bad reviews wouldn't matter because they didn't matter for the Transformers franchise. That theory did not pan out.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You keep treating them like they are related. Just because one poorly reviewed movie thrived in an empty August does not mean that a poorly reviewed sequel is going to thrive against actual competition.

What? So we don't compare movies within the same genre anymore? That's news to me. 

Besides i merely said I'm interested to see if it plays out in a similar way in which the audience likes it and the critics didn't. Are we not allowed to do that anymore? 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

What? So we don't compare movies within the same genre anymore? That's news to me. 

You compare whatever you want. I don't get it but you do you dude.

I haven't seen Kingsman 2, I'm not personally judging it.  I have no idea whether I will like it or not because I have not seen it. This conversation is not about personal opinions about the quality of movies.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Besides i merely said I'm interested to see if it plays out in a similar way in which the audience likes it and the critics didn't. Are we not allowed to do that anymore? 

I entirely get the comparison of Kingsman to Hitman's Bodyguard and see that genre as the most "review proof" personally.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I entirely get the comparison of Kingsman to Hitman's Bodyguard and see that genre as the most "review proof" personally.  

Yea I just compared them because they encompass a similar genre that can usually get by with less than stellar reviews. And I only used THB because it was recent but I could probably go back and use other films too. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You compare whatever you want. I don't get it but you do you dude.

I haven't seen Kingsman 2, I'm not personally judging it.  I have no idea whether I will like it or not because I have not seen it. This conversation is not about personal opinions about the quality of movies.

I think the broader question is : could this be a "type" of movie where audiences are more often looking for something different than what critics are?  

My stance is just that this is in a genre where that can happen.  Certainly if audiences are not pleased the movie will sputter and I have no idea what happens there.  I have a feeling it'll be entertaining enough, but who knows.  

I think an action movie like Bond or Bourne would be hit harder by negative reviews than a movie like Kingsman is all

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I'll say this now so I can get yelled at.  After the first half First Class isn't that good

I really strongly agree with this, very strong first act, become boring after a while (wish we could have followed Magneto killing Nazi storyline kind of). It is still competently done, same for Kingsman.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I think an action movie like Bond or Bourne would be hit harder by negative reviews than a movie like Kingsman is all

Make sense, after so many of those audience could be more wait and see if that entry is worthy, than for Kingsman were liking the trailer/liking the first would be more than enough.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if it's the fact it hasn't got early release OS may be a factor, when did Storks drop their embargo?

Storks was Thursday (mentioned already, but I'll just repeat), which was also odd / troubling at the time. Any embargo for an animated films just tends to seem troubling though, considering those films can be critic proof already.