Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

No one sets out to make a bad movie. :lol:

No, I'm sure the Wachowski's thought they were making something great and unique, but how this was green lit by studios heads is kinda baffling.  I mean really, some of the reviews say the dialogue in this makes George Lucas look like Quentin Tarantino.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do believe the public is thirsty for original material instead of having sequels, remakes, reboots, prequels, spinoffs, and comic book movies all the time.  But that doesn't mean they'll show up for an original movie that looks really goofy/cheesy that actually did turn out really terrible according to a huge majority of film critics.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

What about Edge of Tomorrow? And Interstellar? You don't mean to tell me those are horrendous do you?

Where did he imply that either was horrendous? Interstellar was a smash, and Edge of Tomorrow, while probably not profitable, wasn't a huge money loser. 

What about Edge of Tomorrow? And Interstellar? You don't mean to tell me those are horrendous do you?

Edge of tomorrow was good

I didnt like Interstellar. I'll take JA over it. if that was the only two film o had to pick to watch for the rest of my life.

Edited by Dragon

No, I'm sure the Wachowski's thought they were making something great and unique, but how this was green lit by studios heads is kinda baffling.  I mean really, some of the reviews say the dialogue in this makes George Lucas look like Quentin Tarantino.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do believe the public is thirsty for original material instead of having sequels, remakes, reboots, prequels, spinoffs, and comic book movies all the time.  But that doesn't mean they'll show up for an original movie that looks really goofy/cheesy that actually did turn out really terrible according to a huge majority of film critics.

No dialogue in any film can be bad enough to make George Lucas seem like Quentin Tarantino.

• Like 1

I don't see what the big deal is when an adult decides to go see an animated movie. It's just another genre to me, no different than action or comedy or drama. Yes, it's aimed more towards kids, but there are a lot of really damn good animated movies out there.

Just like any other genre, I will be picky and choose only the ones I want to see.

• Like 8

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Dialogue is not exactly an arbiter of whether a movie will be a hit... I mean, jeez, look at stuff like TRANSFORMERS. WB rolled the dice because the Wachowskis have delivered big-time before (especially THE MATRIX, which probably confused a great deal of people when it was in concept/pre-production stage). Here was an opportunity to see if another franchise could get jumpstarted. In terms of weirdness, I'm guessing nothing in JA is weirder than, say, 10-foot tall blue cat aliens (AVATAR), or talking raccoons (GOTG), to name but two recent hits.

So... they went for it. And they failed.

• Like 3