Asyulus

Did The Hobbit 3 underperform at the box office?

$939m isnt really great when compared to Transformers 4, AUJ, and ROTK. I know its run is not yet finished.

It should end with $970m given the existing markets such as a China and domestically, is that dissapointing.

Did it flopped, a financial failure and a commercial failure?

It isn't in any way a financial failure. Actually, it's set to sell more tickets than DoS and is par with AuJ overseas (in admissions) but what brought it down is the exchange rate. 

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

It isn't in any way a financial failure. Actually, it's set to sell more tickets than DoS and is par with AuJ overseas (in admissions) but what brought it down is the exchange rate. 

It's not a stupid question.  And you're going to have to learn one of these days Noctis not to talk like that to people. 

No, it's not a failure.  

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

compared with what expectations were when the first one came out yes. but no, it hit $250m Domestically, in the third of a franchise with a divided fanbase. and is going to close with nearly $1bww. 

Edited by Kalo

With the same exchange rates as when Smaug was released, Five Armies would have hit over 1.05 billion and would have been the biggest of 3 in financial terms. Hurt badly by exchange rates. Still a success. 3 films over 2.9 billion worldwide was good, just didn't catch on with audiences like LOTR did.

I think it might feel that way because both Hobbit 3 and transformers 4 felt a lot more like POTC4 and the last Ice Age sequel. There were A LOT of people around the world that wanted to see them turning them into huge hits, but outside of them no one gave a shit, they came and went without notice. In contrast Transformers 3 and the first Hobbit weren't exactly zeitgeist conquering hits but they had some buzz. If you told someone who doesn't follow boxoffice that they were amongst the biggest wordwide hits of their year, they would say "of course they are". If you tell them Transformers4 and Hobbit3 were the biggest hits of 2014 they would go "huh, really?". But a billion dollars is a billion dollars. It just proves that today especially worldwide, an established brand and a huge fanbase is more important than all the buzz in the world.

It could have had better legs, but it was the shittiest of the three with unresolved plot points littering the finale. 

Doesn't matter though, finales in general have been pretty sub-par. TDKR, HP:DH2, TF3, SM3, IM3, SFA, ROTJ and so on.

I think TS3 and ROTK are the only ones I'm pleased with. 

Domestically - yes , it underperformed and i i still don't know why. Hobbit 2 was a great rebound from the first movie and i thought the marketing campaign was very solid. I expected it to gross just around 300.

Overall - a movie that just made close to 950 M can no be a failure.

I wouldn't say that it underperformed domestically, at least compared with pre-release expectations. Buzz definitely seemed lower than it was for the previous two installments (despite Warner's "One Last Time" efforts), and it opened in a more crowded marketplace. Granted, its performance over the holidays did point toward a higher total than Smaug, but its legs were cut short in January.