Could see:

Brie Larson - Room

Emily Blunt - Sicario

Naomi Watts - Demolition

Marion Cotillard - Macbeth

Carey Mulligan - Suffragette

Rachel Weisz - The Light Between Oceans

Yep!

Will Meryl get her 500th nomination? And just for sitting in a chair for 5 hours??? (The sad part is, knowing the Academy....)

I don't see anything sad about a new Streep nomination next year. In fact, she has two possible great/good performances/roles in 2015, Suffragette and Ricki and the Flash.

• Like 1

I don't see anything sad about a new Streep nomination next year. In fact, she has two possible great/good performances/roles in 2015, Suffragette and Ricki and the Flash.

Very late reply I know-but I was saying the sad part is knowing the Academy they would nominate her for sitting in a chair if you read the post :P

Streep is not getting her 20th nomination this year. Ricki and the Flash made little at the box office, got decent but not great reviews, and its studio has already said they are unlikely to give it a campaign of any kind at the end of the year (the previous two factors will solidify that decision). Her role in Suffragette is widely reported to be a 5 minute one scene cameo (like almost all of her screen time is in the trailer), so no to that as well.

Yeah, Streep definitely isn't going to be in the running this year. She's good in Ricki and the Flash, but with the mediocre reviews and quiet box office performance, she's not going to get much traction for it (if any). Her best hope is a Golden Globe nod, which is possible considering just how far that organization has stretched its definitions of both "musical" and "comedy."

I'm still holding out the incredibly unrealistic hope that Charlize Theron will somehow snag a nod for Mad Max.  :ph34r:

Her best hope is a Golden Globe nod, which is possible considering just how far that organization has stretched its definitions of both "musical" and "comedy."

You mean My Week with Marilyn was not a laugh fest? I mean it was nominated for comedy/musical :P

On a serious note-she probably will be nominated for a Globe, I didn't have much faith though in that film outside of a possible acting nod in the first place though.

Also, Streep isn't going to be nommed because this year looks to be very strong with female roles. JLaw, Emily Blunt, Saoirse Ronan, Blanchett and Mulligan solely leading five films with strong / great buzz that will also compete for a BP nod. 

Add in other contenders like Vikander, Winslet, Wasikowska or Cotillard

• Like 1

Everything about The Danish Girl points to Alicia Vikander being in another Felicity Jones in The Theory of Everything situation: female co-lead in what is mostly a two-hander opposite Eddie Redmayne. Putting her in lead sounds accurate.

Felicity Jones deserved the lead placement though since the second half of Theory of Everything was a lot more about her character than Hawking.

• Like 1