babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

A lot of the buzz around this feels fake. Like all of these stars who were gushing about how amazing this movie is going to be before any official screenings. I liked Gaga a lot back in the day, but she hasn't really done anything outstanding since 2011, yet everything she's involved in still gets critical acclaim for some reason.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

A lot of the buzz around this feels fake. Like all of these stars who were gushing about how amazing this movie is going to be before any official screenings. I liked Gaga a lot back in the day, but she hasn't really done anything outstanding since 2011, yet everything she's involved in still gets critical acclaim for some reason.

It's premiering at the various fall film festivals, so it's safe to say the studio has an enormous amount of faith in it.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 12:47 PM, ThomasNicole said:

Make Your research...

Her last tour gross around $2M per show, similar or better average of other pop girls (besides Beyonce / Taylor)

The “”low”” final gross is because she made just 49 shows, her fibromyalgia attacks and she can’t add new shows around the globe or even finish the dates already marked.

Anyway, this thread is about the movie and i really don’t know why her musical carreer is relevant here.

Yet she then agrees to a Vegas residency? lmao

Child, I know everything about the industry, I don't need to do research. The claim was that she did 40 shows while others did 90, in reference to post-Super Bowl Half Time Show tours. Again, nonsense.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, harry713 said:

Quit wasting your time. Nothing I said was factually wrong, but cool novel. 

I also follow the music industry very closely and have for over 20 years. I never mentioned her decline. All pop stars slow down commercially eventually. Some see a comeback but it all part of the ebb and flow of the business. Pop and dance music isn’t as popular as it once was and many of the non urban-leaning pop stars are hurting commercially. Fact is Lady Gaga hasn’t missed out on a top 10 single or platinum certification throughout her 10 year career of LP’s. Factually. 

Is that supposed to be an achievement after only 10 years? (Caveat: Cheek To Cheek, an LP, is not Platinum and had no chart hit.) And FYI - RIAA album certs aren't even for album sales anymore, they're for album sales combined with bullshit "equivalent units" generated by individual track sales and streaming.

"Slowing down eventually" doesn't even apply to Gaga. Within all of 5 years the woman went from her debut album scanning 4.7 million in the US to her 3rd album scanning 770,000.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Lady Gaga is obviously not anywhere near the prime of her singing career anymore but then again neither was Whitney Houston when she made her film debut in The Bodyguard (sales for her third album really paled in comparison to her first two just two years prior and a new group of singers - namely, Mariah Carey - were starting to take the spotlight) and that movie made her an undeniable powerhouse again. Where her music career currently stands has no bearing on the movie connecting (which it looks like it very much will).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Child, I know everything about the industry, I don't need to do research. The claim was that she did 40 shows while others did 90, in reference to post-Super Bowl Half Time Show tours. Again, nonsense.

ok

• Like 1

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Lady Gaga is obviously not anywhere near the prime of her singing career anymore but then again neither was Whitney Houston when she made her film debut in The Bodyguard (sales for her third album really paled in comparison to her first two just two years prior and a new group of singers - namely, Mariah Carey - were starting to take the spotlight) and that movie made her an undeniable powerhouse again. Where her music career currently stands has no bearing on the movie connecting (which it looks like it very much will). 

I'm your baby tonight, whitney's album pre The bodyguard, was the #10 best selling album of 1991. Its first two singles reached #1 on the hot 100 so no. I dont know why you guys are always spreading fake news here

Mariah's second album, also released in 1991 sold less, and was the #22 biggest seller of the year

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

You clearly need to do more. You don’t seem to have a grasp on some very broad industry strokes, Pussycat. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Bodyguard is one of the most jaw-dropping mega hits ever. Original property. Untested lead. Interracial romance. Genre mix (romance, thriller, musical). And yet it made over 400M WW in 1992! That's just mind blowing. :bravo:

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

The Bodyguard is one of the most jaw-dropping mega hits ever. Original property. Untested lead. Interracial romance. Genre mix (romance, thriller, musical). And yet it made over 400M WW in 1992! That's just mind blowing. :bravo:

Just cause the idea of an original movie succeeding today is mind-blowing doesn't mean it was the same way in 1992.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Just cause the idea of an original movie succeeding today is mind-blowing doesn't mean it was the same way in 1992.

Pretty Woman being still the biggest english speaking rom-com worlwide box office ever with 463m WW showing that very much. Or Ghost going over 500 that year.

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Untested lead.

But it also had Kevin Costner one of the biggest movie star of the world in 1992 and even too Houston was an untested lead she was a big star.

Costner late 80s, early 90s was quite the big thing, made that list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Money_Making_Stars_Poll

In 1990, 1991 & 1992

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Kevin Costner one of the biggest movie star of the world in 1992 and even too Houston was an untested lead she was a big star

Speaking of which, didn't realize how massive is run was, 4 top 6 movie in 3 year's, with only one established character.

1990:

1 Ghost Par. $505.7 $217.6 43.0% $288.1 57.0%
2 Home Alone Fox $476.7 $285.8 59.9% $190.9 40.1%
3 Pretty Woman BV $463.4 $178.4 38.5% $285.0 61.5%
4 Dances with Wolves Orion $424.2 $184.2 43.4% $240.0 56.6%

1991:

1 Terminator 2: Judgment Day TriS $519.8 $204.8 39.4% $315.0 60.6%
2 Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves WB $390.5 $165.5 42.4% $225.0 57.6%
3 Beauty and the Beast BV $351.9 $145.9 41.5% $206.0 58.5%
4 Hook TriS $300.9 $119.7 39.8% $181.2 60.2%
5 The Silence of the Lambs Orion $272.7 $130.7 47.9% $142.0 52.1%
6 JFK WB $205.4 $70.4 34.3% $135.0 65.7%

1992:

1 Aladdin BV $504.1 $217.4 43.1% $286.7 56.9%
2 The Bodyguard WB $410.9 $121.9 29.7% $289.0 70.3%

34 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

The result is a film with the breadth of an epic ensemble piece and the intimacy and undiluted emotional impact of a character study by Bergman or Cassavetes.

It’s a rock-solid piece of writing, filled with insight and incident but as cleanly structured as the best of Robert Towne or Lawrence Kasdan

Like Scorsese, whose work (particularly The Last Waltz, New York, New York and Life Lessons) this film strongly resembles, Cooper has somehow figured out how to marry the precision of a Hitchcock or Kubrick with the emotional generosity and psychologically probing nature of a Cassavetes or Kazan.

The undeniable standout is Lady Gaga, whose performance here goes far beyond what we typically think of as great acting and moves into the territory of, say, Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence. 

Laying it on a little thick there buddy.

• Like 1