lilmac

Why do you come to BOT?

Why do you come to BOT?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you come to BOT?

• Box-office predicting
    • Hang out with online friends
    • Chit chat about movies (but not necessarily boxoffice)
    • Chit chat about non-movie stuff
    • Because I'm lonely
    • Other
    • Box-office results

Multiple choice selections are allowed. I made this poll after I heard someone somewhere else say that BOT's (I like that acronym!) don't care about box-office. While I don't know if that's true or if that's necessarily a bad thing, I want to hear what you guys think.

Edited by lilmac

I actually come to talk about box office results. I'm not really much for box office predicting. Every place else you can really only argue over the quality of a movie. This is the only place where you can discuss the box office. Therefore, I checked "other."

Unfortunately, too many arguments occur here as well about the quality of a movie. However, some box office talk is better than no box office talk.

• Like 6

I actually come to talk about box office results. I'm not really much for box office predicting. Every place else you can really only argue over the quality of a movie. This is the only place where you can discuss the box office. Therefore, I checked "other."

Unfortunately, too many arguments occur here as well about the quality of a movie. However, some box office talk is better than no box office talk.

What's wrong with some discussion about the quality of a movie?

Unfortunately, too many arguments occur here as well about the quality of a movie. However, some box office talk is better than no box office talk.

This isn't *just* a forum for box office. That's why there are dozens of other subforums. :)

• Like 1

What's wrong with some discussion about the quality of a movie?

It's when that's all that's discussed that it gets tiresome. When predicting box office numbers, it makes sense to discuss quality. However, when you have box office numbers, quality doesn't matter anymore in the discussion. Someone can say a movie stinks all they want. But, if it earned a huge gross at the box office, then it's clearly a winner. I think that point gets lost more on the domestic forum more than it should. However, this is still the only place to really discuss BO.

This isn't *just* a forum for box office. That's why there are dozens of other subforums. :)

Maybe I should have clarified that I mean the Domestic forum. I usually only visit the domestic forum and the speakeasy. You're right, there are lots of other sub-forums to have non-box office discussions.

• Like 3

I started in the '90 to look into BO, was in between at Mojo.... and 'ended' (positivly meant) here mainly bcs. of worldwide BO results and nowadays also US dom BOs.

But I also like it bcs I get an insight about e.g. the differeing advertising campains in other countries, tons of links to articles where they mention e.g. also budget details and other income and costs details (in relation to every other website I know about), and other movie business related details. A lot of articles I find by myself, but here they'll usually also discussed, commented on, those reactions are also interesting to me.

To me BO theory... includes also relations of the BO to costs,... seeing how much a new way to advertise might impact BOs, how much more other revenues might increase based on the BO details, how e.g. bad translations or exchange rates can influence the final results

The movie discussions I see as a bonus if it gets not out of hand in relation to the ammount of posts depending in what thread they get posted (IMHO too many in actual BO numbers and similar), especially as mostly here are posts to find pro and contra with wordings far better like e.g. at IMDb.

The non-BO ... sub-forums are very nice when I can't sleep or a few have themes that I do not know people in RL also interested in... oh, that includes in a way BO too, no one I know in RL is interested in general BOs, some might be interested in certain movies' BOs, but usually more in the way: was it a big enough success to get a 2nd part or so.

A few I learned to love as they give a bit insight into some users mind-sets, and/or how they live, what touches them, it feels as such more equal and frinedly then at other places IMHO

The prediction threads / areas are relativly new to me, as I never participated or even read usually in those in the past, but I started to look into them, might be fun in the long run.

So I started with a 100% ww BO results reason, now it's probably 80% ww and dom BO results and other revenues together, the remaining 20% are for non-BO details (all from awards, the ~ personally themed ones to the Space thread)

So 'other' is probably the main answer, .... didn't used the poll as the choices do not feel right to me as a sum.

• Like 5

I didn't think about that distinction. Went ahead and added boxoffice results (you can make multiple entries)

• Like 2

Voted for "talk about movies" option, this forum is the best place on the internet to talk about movies, people here are not extreme like in other places (in the sense that we aren't pretentious douchebags hipsters nor dumb young dudes, we like both highbrow and lowbrow art), great mix of people and the moderation is excellent.

+ we talk about box office, which is also very interesting

• Like 3