PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

Uh, where the hell did this 'BW slept with half of TA' even coming from?

Goodness.

I thought she's done that in comics. Sorry if I was wrong. But even if she hasn't, she's still just a fictional character.

It'd be sad if all of these bad presses from over-sensitive people actually had an effect on AOU B.O. turn out. Can't people just separate a movie from the real world? :mellow:

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 2

Feel free to have this discussion else where fellas. At this point, it my have to take place on "The Real World" forums,

This isn't place to talk about anything besides box office numbers.

Agreed, sorry I got caught up. :wacko:

People need to lighten up or in 20-30 years we will see a spike in heart disease and the average lifespan drop by at least a decade. A joke about a fictional character damages society far less than overreacting to it.

The overreactions to box office numbers are the true killers.

• Like 1

He was right though, BW did sleep around.

Feminists can go to hell, they give sane & confident women a bad name.

There is nothing wrong with feminism.

With the numbers, people just need to accept that this film is dropping notably from it's predecessor domestically and move on.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with feminism.

With the numbers, people just need to accept that this film is dropping notably from it's predecessor domestically and move on.

Last bit on this discussion, and I agree, there is nothing wrong with feminism in general.

I'd say in this case, involving Whedon, it was overblown by way too much.

Ridiculous. Not liking a political movement doesn't mean you hate women

Yes it does.

He's freely admitting he hates Feminism. Feminism calls for women to be equal to men in society.

Nationwide in the US women are paid less than men to do the same jobs, and I don't just mean manual labor jobs. Women constantly have men voting on their bodies and reproductive rights in Congress.

• Like 6

Ridiculous. Not liking a political movement doesn't mean you hate women

People who don't like feminism equate the entire movement with the most extreme fringe elements.

Feminism is based on a very simple concept: women are equal to men and should be treated thusly. Given the same background and work experience, they should be paid the same. They should have the same rights and the same expectations to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, etc. They shouldn't have to deal with weird double standards.

Proudly saying you're anti-feminist either shows you have a basic misunderstanding about what it means, or that you think women should be put on a lower tier than men.

• Like 8

I want to state for the record that just because I feel people are overreacting to a joke about a fictional character, that does not make me "anti-feminist" and I would be absolutely offended if someone accused me of such a thing. I don't see one equating to the other. I have strong female characters in all of the stories I write and believe women can be just as effective as leaders if given the same opportunities and education as men.

I think Chewy said it best -- weeks and weeks ago when this whole story broke. Yes, he's just making a joke about a fictional character. That isn't really a big deal in and of itself. But the context and mindset behind making the joke is really just ugly frat-boy mentality -- very common but nonetheless a bit out-of-date and not really something that's worth encouraging.

• Like 1

I thought she's done that in comics. Sorry if I was wrong. But even if she hasn't, she's still just a fictional character.

It'd be sad if all of these bad presses from over-sensitive people actually had an effect on AOU B.O. turn out. Can't people just separate a movie from the real world? :mellow:

You know, the comics are basically a soap-opera that's been running for over fifty years by now. And if a soap-opera goes on long enough, at some point all possible pairings will have been tried out at least once. The Avengers mostly have male members, and most of them are straight, so it goes without saying that the few female members will have to do the rounds to compensate.

But it seems rather silly to make a judgment of their characters due to story-telling limitations such as these.

• Like 1

Jeremy Renner has picked a really weird hill to die on for sure. Of all things, why double down on this? It was dead and done with.

CEQPg3GWYAE2-cl.jpg

jiFfM.jpg

hawk7.gif

Renner is an idiot for keeping this shit going.

• Like 1

I think Chewy said it best -- weeks and weeks ago when this whole story broke. Yes, he's just making a joke about a fictional character. That isn't really a big deal in and of itself. But the context and mindset behind making the joke is really just ugly frat-boy mentality -- very common but nonetheless a bit out-of-date and not really something that's worth encouraging.

While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, my problem is that this is relatively minor stuff compared to the absolutely vile things happening out there in the real world. And by making this a big deal, it actually takes away attention from what we should really be dealing with. Women are being trafficked(big problem in my state) abused even murdered and a joke about a fictional character is what dominates headlines and conversation??? We're fooling ourselves if we think these are the issues we should be spending our time fighting for. 

/rant

While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, my problem is that this is relatively minor stuff compared to the absolutely vile things happening out there in the real world. And by making this a big deal, it actually takes away attention from what we should really be dealing with. Women are being trafficked(big problem in my state) abused even murdered and a joke about a fictional character is what dominates headlines and conversation??? We're fooling ourselves if we think these are the issues we should be spending our time fighting for. 

/rant

Of course. I totally agree. But that's Twitter for ya.