kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

There is nothing more concerning than the people who usually fap to The Favourite, Roma, Moonlight, Manchester by the Lake, Lady Bird, The Florida Project of the world choose their annual sci-fi-fantasy-superhero movie and rave it to the moon.

They always choose one to justify their very existence.

And 90% of the time, their reasons for praising said movie are the wrong ones because they don't care for the genre and its worlds and characters at all, for the vast majority of them.

Rooting for a movie to fail is utterly stupid.

With that in mind, I hope this movie is a big disapointment and that something inside the movie turns off GA.

But then again , betting against a superhero movie in 2018 is an exercise in futility.

...critics like the mcu. several of them have gotten the kind of praise you're talking about. even a couple from this year! i know you really, really want it to be an us vs. them thing so you can go on pointless and idiotic rants about elitism like the one above (good to see you admitting you want it to bomb JUST because it has good reviews though) but it isn't.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Infinity War was ANNIHILATED too as well, standing at a breathtakingly unfair 84%.

Reveal hidden contents

84% is too low for IW since it was the best MCU movie of 2018, IMO.  Russos directed the shit out of it, juggled gazillion characters without anyone feeling 100% not needed and useless (I'm looking at you Martin Freeman), they kept everyone's character distinctive (the quippy ones quipped in their own way retaining their own voice)  and they created an amazing actual character out of a CGI (Thanos). Also, when certain trio shows up to save the day is the most cheer-worthy scene of the year this side of Queen's Live Aid. I honestly think critics held back so that it didn't challenge/jeopardize BP rating.

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

84% is too low for IW since it was the best MCU movie of 2018.  Russos directed the shit out of it, juggled gazillion characters without anyone feeling 100% not needed and useless (I'm looking at you Martin Freeman), they kept everyone's character distinctive (the quippy ones quipped in their own way retaining their own voice)  and they created an amazing actual character out of a CGI (Thanos). Also, when certain trio shows up to save the day is the most cheer-worthy scene of the year this side of Queen's Live Aid. I honestly think critics held back so that it didn't challenge/jeopardize BP rating.

Holy fuck, conspiracy. 300 critics are part of some underground cult that decides which movie gets good rating.

• Like 6

Just now, Premium George said:

Holy fuck, conspiracy. 300 critics are part of some underground cult that decides which movie gets good rating.

it isn't conspiracy and it isn't a cult. everyone can go all the way with overpraise if something checks their boxes or reign themselves in if it challenges the favorite. Happens all the time with awards hopefuls. 

It can also be both! 84% can be “criminally low” and it still can’t not be the best MCU film this year. 😉

anywyay, back on topic, I think I Convince my friend to see  this on Thursday previews instead of another movie which shall not be named. So Yay

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Maybe you are right. Maybe they just didn't like IW as much as I did but the world liked it more than movies they liked more so it made 2B. And that's all that matters. :)

Duh. Box office and rt score are not in some equation. Doesn't make one side wrong or right, if they are different.

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

It can also be both! 84% can be “criminally low” and it still can’t not be the best MCU film this year. 😉

anywyay, back on topic, I think I Convince my friend to see  this on Thursday previews instead of another movie which shall not be named. So Yay

I think I know what movie that is.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Duh. Box office and rt score are not in some equation. Doesn't make one side wrong or right, if they are different.

exactly. Critics hated Venom and were meh on BR but audience went nuts for them. critics tried to make First Man, Widows and Green Book happen but audience rejected them. Neither side is wrong or right, just different. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

exactly. Critics hated Venom and were meh on BR but audience went nuts for them. critics tried to make First Man, Widows and Green Book happen but audience rejected them. Neither side is wrong or right, just different. 

You know the word of mouth isn't the only factor that worked in the market right? 

Marketing have a great role, even greater than the film's quality itself......That being said, first man sucked......

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

You know the word of mouth isn't the only factor that worked in the market right? 

Marketing have a great role, even greater than the film's quality itself......That being said, first man sucked......

Marketing is crucial for OW but WOM takes over after. Movies that caught on had both, movies that didn't, lacked one or both. First Man and Widows had deceiving marketing that made Moon landing/heist more central to either slow meandering movie with unlikable characters than it was, so WOM was not good. Fool me once. Also, Gosling and Davis are no stars so OW was shit too. 

But speaking of the topic, Spiderverse should do well with audience cause of appealing marketing and characters. There's no deception and Spiderman is a legit draw. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Lego Batman’s reviews were mostly “it’s good and fun!” rather than the nearly 9/10 average rating this film has

Also, for whatever reason the Academy hasn’t liked those LEGO movies (Granted they were right to snub Batman, they just should have picked a different movie to nod instead)

1 minute ago, PANDA said:

Also, for whatever reason the Academy hasn’t liked those LEGO movies (Granted they were right to snub Batman, they just should have picked a different movie to nod instead)

I think the Academy’s reason for not nominating the LEGO movies is that they see them as these cheap commercial products to sell toys. 

tumblr_pj0oymtueg1rsxc8jo1_250.png

I know average rating is a bit of a dubious stat to measure and compare (since not every reviewer provides a score and they use so many different scales), but is this going to set the record for superhero RT average rating?  

Is there anything higher than The Dark Knight's 8.6?

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie