kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

Even though I haven’t seen this movie, I’m rooting for either it or Isle of Dogs to win Best Animated Feature for no reason other than that I’m sick of Disney always winning that category. It probably helps that Disney’s two big animated films this year are sequels that aren’t considered as good as their predecessors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PANDA said:

Also, for whatever reason the Academy hasn’t liked those LEGO movies (Granted they were right to snub Batman, they just should have picked a different movie to nod instead)

The Animation branch does the nominating and they're as particular about the animation and technical skill or even more so than about the entirety of the movie.  The LEGO technique doesn't seem to appeal to them.

I thought LEGO was ok  but might have won if it had been nominated -  while Batman LEGO was meh with far better ads than the movie itself.  Boss Baby though....🤔

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

The Animation branch does the nominating and they're as particular about the animation and technical skill or even more so than about the entirety of the movie.  The LEGO technique doesn't seem to appeal to them.

I thought LEGO was ok  but might have won if it had been nominated -  while Batman LEGO was meh with far better ads than the movie itself.  Boss Baby though....🤔

One can wonder if they were not put off by the amount of live action that was present in the movie also (was short but quite big in term of moment/importance theme wise).

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

A number of the academy branches are notorious for having some real quirks when it comes to nominations.

The Writers guild, for instance, in infamous for their rules about which writers get screen credit, which often leads to the people who ended up writing most of the film not getting screen credit,while writers who made what ended up being a small contribution get the credit.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Even though I haven’t seen this movie, I’m rooting for either it or Isle of Dogs to win Best Animated Feature for no reason other than that I’m sick of Disney always winning that category. It probably helps that Disney’s two big animated films this year are sequels that aren’t considered as good as their predecessors. 

But Disney will have some  compensation in they will get a slice of Spideyverse's profits from Marvel's deal with Sony.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But Disney will have some  compensation in they will get a slice of Spideyverse's profits from Marvel's deal with Sony.

Is that how the deal works? I thought the deal was just that Spider-Man would be able to appear in Disney produced MCU films in exchange for Marvel making Spider-Man films for Sony. 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Is that how the deal works? I thought the deal was just that Spider-Man would be able to appear in Disney produced MCU films in exchange for Marvel making Spider-Man films for Sony. 

In the first deal it worked like that, for the renewed one (the one the Amazing spider-man 1-2 was made on) it was not working like that, Marvel gave $200M and the revenues participation on those movies to Sony in exchange for getting the merchandising rights back.

On that deal it was the other way around, Marvel was giving a bit of money to Sony when they were making a SpiderMan movies (it was calculated on the movie box office but around $25M), has a thank you for making an giant toy ads kind of deal.

Not sure for the latest one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

In the first deal it worked like that, for the renewed one (the one the Amazing spider-man 1-2 was made on) it was not working like that, Marvel gave $200M and the revenues participation on those movies to Sony in exchange for getting the merchandising rights back.

On that deal it was the other way around, Marvel was giving a bit of money to Sony when they were making a SpiderMan movies (it was calculated on the movie box office but around $25M), has a thank you for making an giant toy ads kind of deal.

Not sure for the latest one.

DisMar still doesn't get a cut of the actual movie earnings going by these reports:

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

http://collider.com/spider-man-marvel-sony-deal-explained/#mcu

But they can merchandise off the films as you mentioned. Also, the second deal gave Marvel the rights back for small screen animation (not sure about live action) which was why Sony's exceptional The Spectacular Spider-Man ended up being a casualty. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Your hard on hate on this is hillarious to watch.

I'll still watch it and give an honest opinion about it but pretty much everyone I know doesn't seem keen on this due to the visuals. 

I'm also not expecting a best Animation win. If their Lego movie didn't nab a nomination despite being one of the most creative animations in a long time I don't see this doing so either. Lord Miller and bro will be the Christopher Nolan of animation when it comes to the Oscars

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I'll still watch it and give an honest opinion about it but pretty much everyone I know doesn't seem keen on this due to the visuals. 

I'm also not expecting a best Animation win. If their Lego movie didn't nab a nomination despite being one of the most creative animations in a long time I don't see this doing so either. Lord Miller and bro will be the Christopher Nolan of animation when it comes to the Oscars

Funny, everyone I know says it looks amazing. 

Almost as funny as you trying to deny that you hate this move with passion for some reason lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Almost as funny as you trying to deny that you hate this move with passion for some reason lol.

She also hates MPR and insists no one care about the movie no matter what people argue. Just ignore her my friend

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Never seen you post before...and never will again!  Can't imagine you ever say anything that interests me with such a absurd take

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

if everyone thought the animation looks amazing then 100m OW would be all but assured. When it doesn't we can assume my opinion was shared by many. Don't assume that my doubts mean I hate a movie, it's just a movie lol

35 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

She also hates MPR and insists no one care about the movie no matter what people argue. Just ignore her my friend

Haha yes claiming mist children haven't seen a 40 year old musical and doubting a 400m total is also a sign of hatred 

24 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Never seen you post before...and never will again!  Can't imagine you ever say anything that interests me with such a absurd take

good riddance, can't learn anything if you can't accept different takes

oh btw I'm a guy

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

At least, it will look good, which GA prefers usually.

This movie looks pretty good to me. I like the unique animation style it has, and it’s the first superhero movie to truly tackle the concept of a multiverse, which helps it stand out even more.