Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

When can we expect a concrete Saturday number?

I know we've already got into a semantics argument about the difference between bad and disappointing, but this getting under 500m would be quite a drop.

Edited by Hatebox

When can we expect a concrete Saturday number?

I know we've already got into a semantics argument about the difference between bad and disappointing, but this getting under 500m would be quite a drop.

This is as good as it gets until official estimates from Disney tomorrow, err today.

Edited by Ecstasy

LOL at you pretending you didn't fanboy your predictions. Wipe the egg off your face, be a man and acknowledge you were wrong.

So...the Avengers effect/bump worked for every film except for the actual Avengers sequel...

I'm not a fan of the MCU, but with how much GOTG/CA2/IM3 did number wise even I expected an increase from the first Avengers movie.  Why did those movies benefit so much from A1, whereas the actual Avengers sequel did not? I'm interested in what happened as I don't think being a sequel automatically explains everything. 

I'm not a fan of the MCU, but with how much GOTG/CA2/IM3 did number wise even I expected an increase from the first Avengers movie.  Why did those movies benefit so much from A1, whereas the actual Avengers sequel did not? I'm interested in what happened as I don't think being a sequel automatically explains everything. 

Iron Man 3 benefited the most from the first Avengers movie since it was the first MCU movie released after it.

A problem I keep hearing is that AoU is just a repeat of the first movie . People want something new, not the same old same old. :ph34r:

Iron Man 3 benefited the most from the first Avengers movie since it was the first MCU movie released after it.

A problem I keep hearing is that AoU is just a repeat of the first movie . People want something new, not the same old same old. :ph34r:

Don't believe everything you hear. It's nothing like the first movie. See it for yourself.

A lot of things came together for that movie to make $207m. Everybody wanted to see it for one thing. A lot of people were waiting for that team up on screen.  

Bigger question is how much does this hamper expectations for Civil War which is for all intents purposes Avengers 3?

Is it really Avengers 3? I think it will benefit from Cap 2 more than it will be hurt (potentially) from AoU. Still i think Civil War will be the first mega hit movie outside the Iron Man(though Tony Stark will have a major role, it's still Cap's movie) and Avengers franchise. 

Wait, what if this turns out to play like MJ1? A smaller than expected OW but a greater than expected Multiplier and thats when that movie was so much worse than even this. Its certain that this won't have a 3 multiplier, of course but maybe this could come close to x2.75. With a 2.75 Multiplier this will have a final gross of 522m from an OW of 190m. That i guess is going to be the roof for this though.

Edited by Infernus

Hope we have another but different surprise for us in store when the official numbers comes out to be close to 65m.

Some people seem to be acting all weird that this was bound to happen or something like that, but I don't think anybody predicted lower than 60m for Saturday before the release. So this sure is a shocker. It now seems headed for 400-450m range, which is a..... a.... a..... disaster.

• Like 2

Just for the record, disappointing and bad are not synonyms. The OW can be absolutely fine (which it is) and still be disappointing (which it is).

That's almost exactly what I said around a 80-90 pages back -

The number isn't bad, infact its very very super good. The thing is the goodness of the numbers is subjective and 85m is not as good for AOU as it would have been for some other movie. Its just like how 400m would be a very big achievment for any movie but still a disappointment for AOU. That's the difference. The number isnt bad but slightly disappointing. Disappointing in keeping with our predictions. But tbh our predictions were a tad too high and the number isn't really disappointing as its still greater than the first movie's number. It would have been really disappointing if it had been lower than that.

Not that surprised. The fight HAD to be a factor. See how it holds up Sunday.

That said, I've suspected it would perform way below the first movie as a final total all along.

Like I said last week, this is Lost World territory.

Maybe this will have good legs. Since I suppose that people didn't find this to be the right weekend to watch it.

I generally didn't go because I spent my $100 already And I have to go to my ccousin's confirmation on sunday. I expect there to be a disappointing Sunday as Well. This would be one of the busiest weekends for me.

Edited by TheJosher360

The whispers of truth say the budget was waaaay higher than 250.

Yep, scale of the movie, insane amount of vfx work, multiple shooting locations, cast not being paid 500k this time. It s around 300m for sure without marketing.

Hope we have another but different surprise for us in store when the official numbers comes out to be close to 65m.

Some people seem to be acting all weird that this was bound to happen or something like that, but I don't think anybody predicted lower than 60m for Saturday before the release. So this sure is a shocker. It now seems headed for 400-450m range, which is a..... a.... a..... disaster.

Saturday is toast.

Edited by Ecstasy

We are seeing great numbers in the end, but overall, and how the weekend went, it was a downer to start the year.

Oh well. Somehow, the Hype was missing. The problem is:
How do you make something bigger than "The Avengers". You have the biggest Superheroes combined in a movie. The first time ever that happens on the Big Screen. I mean, how much bigger thn that can it get?