Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

That would be awesome.

Yeah, there are like 20 Avengers in AoU, most of the actors are being paid big bucks! :lol:

Iron Man 4 would look like a bargain, you just need RDJ, Paltrow, and Cheadle back. IM3's ending wasn't that great.

Iron Man is still the only solo Avenger that can have a movie hit one billion WW. Tony deserves a better closing movie! ^_^

Edited by Mojoguy

This makes me realise that, especially without the joker, TDKR did pretty well to not fall more than it did domestically.

In the case of Dark Knight Rises, you can honestly point to some of the drop to the Colorado tragedy and that dickhead James Holmes. But even without it... honestly, I'd still say it wouldn't have hit $500M.

• Like 1

I think it'll prognosticated at 192 mill and when the actuals come in it will be 189 mill.

I also think this kills 500 mill.  I'm giving it a 2.6 and that puts it at about 492 mill.

• Like 1

In the case of Dark Knight Rises, you can honestly point to some of the drop to the Colorado tragedy and that dickhead James Holmes. But even without it... honestly, I'd still say it wouldn't have hit $500M.

No, but TDK 'only' got 530m so even with all that 450m is pretty damn good. The Joker is a marketer's dream and TDKR didn't have that luxury.

Edited by Hatebox

I can't say I'm surprised. I feel like this movie was one of the most hyped ever. Historically, sequels to extremely high grossing movies like that don't match the original's gross.

Also, I doubt this gets as good WOM as the first film. I enjoyed it, but the first film was a groundbreaking event. This just felt like another sequel.

• Like 1

If you think this is a disaster (and it isn't), wait till Avatar 2 opens.

You seriously don't think 400-450 is a disaster? And yet you also say that you never expected that this will struggle to fight dark knight rises domestically.....

No, but TDK 'only' got 530m so even with all that 450m is pretty damn good. The Joker is a marketer's dream and TDKR didn't have that luxury.

Given the awful circumstances, nobody was suggesting $450M was bad or even disappointing. Only idiots were.

Dark Knight Rises didn't have the Joker/Ledger factor, no. But it had fantastic trailers, posters and that image of the broken mask was top notch marketing.

You seriously don't think 400-450 is a disaster? And yet you also say that you never expected that this will struggle to fight dark knight rises domestically.....

Nobody expected it to struggle to fight Dark Knight Rises. But again we're talking about $400M+ box office. That isn't a disaster.

You want a disaster? Go look up Heaven's Gate.

If Age of Ultron doesn't crack $400M (which it will crack), then we'll start using the D word.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

The superhero movie genre has plateaued.

I dunno if one can argue that yet. I mean this film is going to do a 190m weekend. CBM genre is definitely not dead.

Give it a few more years though. 

• Like 1

Given the awful circumstances, nobody was suggesting $450M was bad or even disappointing. Only.

Agreed. My point was merely that TA2's likely dom gross makes TDKR even more impressive in hindsight. And I say that as someone who didn't think TDKR was a particularly good movie.