AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

You lost me there...

Well it could come close 

$27.6 million (previews)

$72.4 million Friday ($100 million) 

$76 million Saturday ($176 million)

$61.5 million Sunday ($237.5 million) 

$250 million would have required a $35-37 million preview # 

Did you think after IM3 made $15.6m from early Thursday shows that it was going to make $174m? It was a second sequel and yet look how backloaded that thing was. If TA2 has the same multiplier over the weekend from previews as IM3, it will make over $300m for the weekend. It might sound crazy to you, but something like $250m is still on the table for sure.

I get what you're saying, but there's a big difference netween 15.6 and 27.6M. Im3 got to that 175 because it only made 15.6, so it more than likely had room to grow, whereas this (although faintly possible) won't I think get that huge backloaded business like TA1 did. If anything, maybe 215, but in no way can I see 250.

IMO the 3.5 day attendance record is possible, but I think it'll be close enough to TDK/SM3/TA that there once again won't be a definitive leader.  I'll run the numbers tomorrow but with a 45% 3D share and 3 years of inflation, I expect the 21.8-22M tickets range would yield 215-220M in the current environment.

SO, now that we have concrete numbers we can finally do some proper crunching.

44% 3D share for the previews, 24/12/8 breakdown for 3D/IMAX/Other (Avengers did 40/8/4), so 4% increase for both IMAX and Other, but hefty drop for standard 3D AND this is only previews, the rest of the weekend should fall even harder.  Still, if it sustains the 24/12/8 breakdown for the full weekend, 21.8M tickets (TA/TDK/SM3) would yield 224M.  The Premium formats have even higher average prices than 3D so they makeup slightly for the decline there.  

However, if the previews were at 44%, then I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that the rest of the weekend will be a little lower, to the point where the full weekend comes out to 40-42%, so closer to 220M IF it sells that many tickets.  

I get what you're saying, but there's a big difference netween 15.6 and 27.6M. Im3 got to that 175 because it only made 15.6, so it more than likely had room to grow, whereas this (although faintly possible) won't I think get that huge backloaded business like TA1 did. If anything, maybe 215, but in no way can I see 250.

I'm not predicting it to actually happen, just saying I don't think it's off the table. I'm expecting $220-230m.

Did you think after IM3 made $15.6m from early Thursday shows that it was going to make $174m? It was a second sequel and yet look how backloaded that thing was. If TA2 has the same multiplier over the weekend from previews as IM3, it will make over $300m for the weekend. It might sound crazy to you, but something like $250m is still on the table for sure.

If that happens, I will let scorpions pluck out my eyeballs.

That number is just... boring. Honestly I hope for something bigger.

No 200+ is assured.

195 is the lowest it will go.

How many times people want to get butthurt about marvel movies on the first weekend of may?

Spiderman then spiderman 3 then TA then im3...

You intentionally skipped TASM2, right?

It would've hit 30 if they played the new SW trailer at all shows.

Blaming you guys for making me think a 40M previews number was in the realm of possibility.

Anyway, let's see if it will match TA's 65M Friday. If it does that, then 225M OW is possible.

Chewy made this point before and I'll make it again here. All that showed is just how small the pre-sales percentage is of the total, plus the fact that previous Marvel movies didn't do much of anything with pre-sales. You did not see them comparing it to Potter, Sith, TDKR/TDK, or Twilight pre-sales.

Monstrous number. Thats the best since TDKR I think.

GUYS I'VE RUN OUT OF LIKES FOR TODAY SO FORGIVE ME.

Also, yes baumer.

• Like 1