Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

The fight. Both cities have a big audience.

yes, but was the effect of the fight not different for eastcoast and westcoast?

it did hurt LA more than NY?

so probably the fight was during the best BO-time on the westcoast?

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that most who would've seen Avengers tonight if it weren't for the fight probably elected to see it yesterday or Sunday (or this afternoon) instead. I just think anyone who was so bent on seeing it this weekend would've found a way to squeeze it in somewhere.

Edited by tribefan695

Update, 11:09PM:

The masses are spending their excess income elsewhere tonight, specifically $90-$100 per subscription to watch the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, which is already on course to net $400M in PPV revenue. Many across the U.S. are watching the boxing match at parties. What this means for Avengers: Age of Ultron is a lower than expected Saturday of $59M per industry estimates, a 30% decline from yesterday’s $84.46M. The first Avengers saw a Saturday dip of 14% back on May 5, 2012. Ultron‘s Sunday, per industry calculations, is looking at $47M, down 20% from Saturday (Avengers’ first Sunday took in $57.1M, down 18% from Saturday). Ultron is now tracking for a three-day opening in the neighborhood of $189M-$191M. While that’s lower than the first chapter’s all-time record domestic bow of $207.4M, it’s still the second highest opening of all-time at the domestic B.O.; just mind-blowing business.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

If this comes in at $189.5 I'm gonna scream.

TDKR adjust to 467m. :ph34r:

Like I said this morning, AOU under TDKR's raw 448.  If this does like 185M, it would need legs on the higher end of the recent MCU spectrum to top it (Cap2 and TA).  

yes, but was the effect of the fight not different for eastcoast and westcoast?

it did hurt LA more than NY?

so probably the fight was during the best BO-time on the westcoast?

Yes and there was basketball game on for an L.A. team.

I'm of the opinion that a lot of people who would've seen Avengers tonight if it weren't for the fight probably elected to see it yesterday or Sunday (or this afternoon) instead. I just think anyone who was so bent on seeing it this weekend would've found a way to squeeze it in somewhere.

They may see it tomorrow, so we will see. I think it is pretty clear though that it hurt today's BO by a good amount.

• Like 1

Well, at least it looks like I won't be eating crow tonight. Maybe even dishing a little out. I wouldn't, but after that boring ass fight, someone needs to dish SOMETHING out. 

It was fairly obtuse to think that the fight wasn't going to play big on Saturday night on the WC.

EVERYONE I knew, was watching that fight. Side bets, drinks, bbq, friend get together....it's only something a big fight like this can do.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that most who would've seen Avengers tonight if it weren't for the fight probably elected to see it yesterday or Sunday (or this afternoon) instead. I just think anyone who was so bent on seeing it this weekend would've found a way to squeeze it in somewhere.

The situation with Palladium theater in San Antonio is a good example. It was running 40% ahead of the biggest NYC theaters on Friday night and then it crashed today by 60% due to the Spurs game. It over-performed big time on Friday and a correction occurred today due to the NBA game. All in all it's probably a wash. The total would probably be fairly similar, it's just that the numbers would look different for each day. 

• Like 1

Other than the fight, is it at all possible that the somewhat mixed reviews (as in - Good, but not as great as the first one) hurt it a bit?

I went to see it opening weekend, but based on the reviews I read I would have been fine waiting a week or two.

Being away for a day and coming back with like 100 new pages. Don't think I have the patience for getting through all that.

Under 200M huh? LOL. Well, can't say I didn't see this coming.

Seeing the movie again tomorrow, let's see how second viewing goes :) But thinking about it, I'm already annoyed at the editing.

• Like 1

Other than the fight, is it at all possible that the somewhat mixed reviews (as in - Good, but not as great as the first one) hurt it a bit?

I went to see it opening weekend, but based on the reviews I read I would have been fine waiting a week or two.

Yeah, I think it doesn't have that MUST SEE event like the first film. 

The downside of a summer megablockbuster is we won't have much to talk about other than its legs for next week. And Max Max and Tomorrowland just feel like arguments about the definition of a flop waiting to happen.

Edited by tribefan695