Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Not guaranteed though, especially since reviews from general audience is mixed. Star Wars has a chance!!!

If it gets a 2.4 mulitpler which is the lowest I can see going it would finish with 448m. Basically tying TDKR box office. 

They're even closer when you remove the $12m difference in preview money. Not a good sign.

IM3 benefitted greatly from TA's goodwill. Had AOU opened right after TA it'd have broken all kind of records.

Edited by KATCH 22

I don't know what is funny about a WWW thread. When your prediction is 150m off and I'm dead on the money maybe the moderators could give some credit when its due. I stated that the film is a success, but when you drop from 600m to 450m that validates a discussion. WWW doesn't mean that a film is a fauilure, it just reflects on the situation in perspective. When the 90% predictions are wrong how can it justify a conversation?

Edited by Alfredstellar
  • Like 2

It is VERY disappointing. A movie with 20 Avengers characters only opened 13m more than a movie with JUST Iron Man. This is pretty ridiculous. :ph34r:

I don't agree, too many characters can have the reverse effect.

More doesn't always mean better.

IM3 benefitted greatly from TA's goodwill. Had AOU opened right after TA it'd have broken all kind of record.

Or the same thing would have happened. :ph34r:

But seriously, that was never in the cards. It was always going to take a few years before they made the Avengers sequel.

Wouldn't call Avengers 2 a disaster yet...

Unlike Iron Man 3, Avengers 2 doesn't have multiple $200 million+ DOM contenders to deal with. IM3 crashed/burned because Great Gatsby broke out, and the one-two punch of Star Trek 2/Furious 6 nuked its legs. Hangover III and Epic didn't help either. Not to mention NYSM/After Earth the weekend after Memorial

Avengers 2 has:

Hot Pursuit (likely a $15-20 million opener... compared to Great Gatsby's $50 million and Dark Shadows' $30 million, that's tiny) 

Mad Max 4 (R-rated and skews older... not Avengers' demo. Should get $30-40 million OW)

Pitch Perfect 2 (completely different demo than Avengers... should be relatively frontloaded too. It's smaller than Star Trek 2) 

Tomorrowland (Avengers 2's first and only major competitor for May. But considering how low most predictions are... this will be less of a threat than MIB3 or Furious 6 or Hangover III) 

Poltergeist (with Tomorrowland, I doubt Furious 6/Epic/Hangover III are matched) 

San Andreas/Aloha (should make less combined than NYSM/AE over their OW) 

Overall, from $187.6 million OW, I predict a 2.7-2.8x due to far less competition this summer than 2013. Iron Man 3 never had a shot at developing true legs. 

$187.5 million

$90 million ($327 million)

$47.5 million ($398 million)

$30 million/$37 million ($450 million)

$15 million ($472 million)

$10 million ($489 million)

$5 million ($497 million) 

$3 million ($502 million) 

$2 million ($506 million)

$515 million DOM total

Those thinking $425 million are crazy. IM3 had 5x the competition Avengers 2 has. They won't have comparable multipliers. Especially since the gap between Avengers 2 and JW is 40 days currently 

Edited by mahnamahna

You know that when official Friday number came out, gitesh and Disney still predicted movie to make at least $200 million. I was saying, what the heck are they smoking?

I put my prediction at $178-$185 million after Friday's number and I couldnt understand why people were still thinking movie could still take over $200 million, even though it outgrossed the original opening day by $4-$5 million.

• Like 1

Taking out midnights/previews:

TA1 - $188.7m
TA2 - $160.1m
IM3 - $158.5m

If it continues running 1% ahead of IM3 for the rest of its run, it will not reach $425m. I think $500m is very unlikely and I'll be pretty happy if it can go past $450m at this point.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2