Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

A lot of that money was made before OW based off the success of the Avengers. That doesn't get changed now. If anything, it MIGHT hurt the bottom line of the next Avengers movie.

Internationally, The Avengers: Age of Ultron opened higher. So merchandising sales across the globe should cover any merchandising sales drops here in the USA.

Not my point stuart360. ;)

Fair point about global sales, prob will make up the difference if it continues to outperform domestic.

Again people are talking about opening weekend, not the final gross.

Most sequels to big popular films open higher.

The point remains for OW, Avengers OW was insane and surprised everyone.

Numbers were reajusted all week end and they were always up, up, up.

Everything about the first Avengers was a phenomenon.

Its OW, its second week end, multiplier and final gross.

I know that the fight dented Ulton's Saturday but when you look at the other Sunday drops, it is highly unlikely that Ultron did a sub 20% drop. That weekend number will be probably round up around 185-185m.

So 185.0-185.9 then

• Like 2

Disney is contractually prohibited from adding Marvel rides to Walt Disney World in Florida. Universal has the theme park rights there. However, there are Disney rides planned for Disneyland in California and their theme parks in other countries.

There are no plans for a Marvel Theme Park.

The lawyers have been hard at work to sort something out for years though.

Rumours they're closer than ever as universal cannot add anything Marvel to their park without Disney's approval. Wouldn't surprise me if a deal is done and universal end up retheming their marvel rides. Especially now Wizarding World of Harry Potter is their major pull for ticket buyers now.

Just woke up. 187 isn't bad by any means; it actually gets me more excited for the summer, and for box office in general. It is obviously a huge number, but it shows that not every record can just fall like "that". It shows that not everything is going to perform like most of us expect. Unpredictability is what makes box office fun, and I'm happy this made a tad less than we expected, but not so much less that it would cause panic for the MCU.

1B is happening. Top 5 of all time could happen. It will gross more than TDKR. This isn't a failure, but I look at it as more like other movies getting a chance. Now the OW record really is up for grabs...

• Like 4

People's expectations were too high.

Avengers 1 almost pushed theaters to full capacity.

Not any movie is going to match that extreme performance.

Avengers 1 was a pop culture phenomena. Sequels for pop culture phenomenons don't increase.

i agree

Again people are talking about opening weekend, not the final gross.

Most sequels to big popular films open higher.

But the original kind of was a sequel? It was a unique finale to a ton of movies that built up to it.

I can see what you're saying though.

The Avengers 2's OW is sort of like the performance of Kentucky's Basketball Team this year. With any other team, getting to the Final Four would be an amazing accomplishment, but because of the expectations, Kentucky not winning the title was a disappointment.

Similarly, any other film getting the #2 OW ever would be an amazing accomplishment, but this is the one film where it feels disappointing.

• Like 7

So AOU should make around the same as Avengers 1.

Yeah I'm sure Disney is really worried.

In other new, Ant-Man will cross 500 m easily. So will just about everything else Marvel Studio makes through 2019.

The Avengers 2's OW is sort of like the performance of Kentucky's Basketball Team this year. With any other team, getting to the Final Four would be an amazing accomplishment, but because of the expectations, Kentucky not winning the title was a disappointment.

Similarly, any other film getting the #2 OW ever would be an amazing accomplishment, but this is the one film where it feels disappointing.

I certainly wasn't disappointed

• Like 1

So AOU should make around the same as Avengers 1.

Yeah I'm sure Disney is really worried.

In other new, Ant-Man will cross 500 m easily. So will just about everything else Marvel Studio makes through 2019.

You mean worldwide right?

I wish AOU had done better. I overpredicted it.

The money that Disney will make is still unreal. Avengers merchandise is gigantic with kids.

People criticize the no-real danger aspect of these movies. The funny thing is that is true to the comics. Killing characters off or switching who wears a costume are temporary fixes that aren't mecessary on the movies.

Wow....I expected Avengers2 to gross at least 200 million on opening weekend. Disappointing opening weekend, but should have seen this coming. The avengers was a genuine event movie and it was basically the star wars of comic book movies. It was inevitable for the sequel to drop at the boxoffice both opening weekend and domestic...remember Spiderman 2!

I don't know why but I have a feeling that this year will be not that good for comic book movies either critically or commercially.

Movies geared towards chicks and original content will deliver at the boxoffice.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

The final uber spectacular act, the jokes and moments with Hulk, the 360 shot with the Silvestri heroic theme, the first Avengers had many memorable moments that created an insane buzz.

Very difficult to replicate those moments and Whedon probably knew it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I certainly wasn't disappointed

I would normally agree with you. Usually, it's our own fault for having such exaggerated expectations on these films, but something about this # is pretty disappointing. It's  a full 20M away from TA's OW.

Moreover, the fact that every estimate has gone down sort of adds to the disappointment (note: I'm not blaming RTH or anybody because it happens, I'm just saying that it added to the disappointment.)