Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Again people are talking about opening weekend, not the final gross.

Most sequels to big popular films open higher.

Higher than 207 million?

That performance was an anomaly. Everybody and their mom watched Avengers 1 opening weekend. Some people multiple times.

• Like 1

The final uber spectacular act, the jokes and moments with Hulk, the 360 shot with the Silvestri heroic theme, the first Avengers had many memorable moments that created an insane buzz.

Very difficult to replicate those moments and Whedon probably knew it.

Yep, third act of this new one felt like more of the same except without Hulk getting to kick total ass like he did in TA1.

I would normally agree with you. Usually, it's our own fault for having such exaggerated expectations on these films, but something about this # is pretty disappointing. It's  a full 20M away from TA's OW.

Moreover, the fact that every estimate has gone down sort of adds to the disappointment (note: I'm not blaming RTH or anybody because it happens, I'm just saying that it added to the disappointment.)

Well I'm not disappointed with the weekend, but also the Kentucky thing, I'm from Wisconsin, the disappointment came latet

• Like 1

Higher than 207 million?

That performance was an anomaly. Everybody and their mom watched Avengers 1 opening weekend. Some people multiple times.

Just out of interest, were you saying all this BEFORE we had any numbers?, what was your prediction?.

This is stil an incredible opening despite some of us being a bit disappointed due to expectation. But regarding IM3, that movie benefited the most from being the first film to follow the breakout success of The Avengers. So while the whole "this only did $13m or so more than IM3" is a fair point to mention, IM3 was riding on the enormous buzz and goodwill of The Avengers. Despite AOU being the direct sequel, lots of the bumps were already given to the likes of IM3, Thor and Cap.

I've said the same thing a few pages back (more like 30 pages).

It's a great opening to me. The first movie had a novelty that was never going to be duplicated, and having individual sequels for the 3 most popular characters probably diluted demand this time around as well. A $450-500M total is far from something to sneeze at (although that there will be some trying to spin such a massive total in a negative way is absurd but whatever).

This^.

Feeling disappointed because of unmet expectation is one thing but it's ridiculous to call 2nd biggest OW of all time a failure. 

• Like 1

Marvel and disney will be a bit nervous about this opening weekend. I think it's obvious that Furious 7 kinda hurt Avengers 2 as it was a must see event movie and first out of the gate.

They will be a bit concerned next year..with BVS coming before Civil War and then in Fast 8 coming before Guardians 2 in 2017.

Calling it now that Guardians 2 will perform like Iron Man 2 domestically.

Edited by marveldcfox

Just out of interest, were you saying all this BEFORE we had any numbers?, what was your prediction?.

My prediction was originally 193/515.

Unfortunately I gave into the hype and increased my predicts at the very last minute to 215/535.

Never again.

• Like 1