Noctis

MONDAY ACTUALS: AGE OF ULTRON - 13.23M (Normal -74% Drop)

It seems the 70-80m range is right now the most tickets sold a movie do these days. Avatar, TDK, TA all fell within that range. I wonder if we'll ever see a movie selling over 80m tickets.

• Like 1

It seems premature to think CBM will go away but, as mentioned, the genre may've plateaued. I'd imagine BatSupes will gross more than any other WB shared universe film. I still believe Civil War/Guardians2/InfinityWar1/InfinityWar2 can gross $400M+ DOM and well over $1B WW. But, do some believe the over-saturation is beginning to take effect?

• Like 1

It seems premature to think CBM will go away but, as mentioned, the genre may've plateaued. I'd imagine BatSupes will gross more than any other WB shared universe film. I still believe Civil War/Guardians2/InfinityWar1/InfinityWar2 can gross $400M+ DOM and well over $1B WW. But, do some believe the over-saturation is beginning to take effect?

Agree about Batsoup. I have no idea why people think Justice League will increase from that, the crossover between icons will be their big zeitgeist moment.

Civil War and Infinity War 2 for 400M maybe, definitely wouldn't bet on it for IWP1 or Guardians 2

And yes, oversaturation has an effect. We're getting 5 or 6 of these things a year from now on. The peaks will be lower and we'll see a few more of them outright bombing.

• Like 3

We get it, you have anal cancer and its making you butthurt that another movie is grossing more than AOU.

WTH?

It isn't just another movie. It's the movie that had turned a boring character into such a beloved character just because the actor that played him was no longer alive. Nobody gave a damn about Brian O'Connor then Paul died and suddenly people came out of the wood to see the movie 'just for him'. Til this day people have been talking about the last 5 mins of the movie more than the movie itself.

I had the same issue with TDK. I'd rather see a movie making money on it's own merit.

• Like 2

WTH?

It isn't just another movie. It's the movie that had turned a boring character into such a beloved character just because the actor that played him was no longer alive. Nobody gave a damn about Brian O'Connor then Paul died and suddenly people came out of the wood to see the movie 'just for him'. Til this day people have been talking about the last 5 mins of the movie more than the movie itself.

I had the same issue with TDK. I'd rather see a movie making money on it's own merit.

Because the first 6 films were all such flops, right?

• Like 2

Agree about Batsoup. I have no idea why people think Justice League will increase from that, the crossover between icons will be their big zeitgeist moment.

Civil War and Infinity War 2 for 400M maybe, definitely wouldn't bet on it for IWP1 or Guardians 2

And yes, oversaturation has an effect. We're getting 5 or 6 of these things a year from now on. The peaks will be lower and we'll see a few more of them outright bombing.

Agreed. I think the summer of Avengers Assemble and Dark Knight Rises was the domestic zenith of genre. Though, next year will be interesting with BatSupes and Civil War possibly the last hurrah for two $400M+ DOM superhero earners in the same season.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

WTH?

I liked Furious 7 but I agree. I also think it resulted to better reviews than expected. Many giving the thumbs up just for the expert handling of the Walker's exit. It likely earns roughly $275M DOM sans the Walker tragedy. And, while fantastic, TDK likely earns around $450M DOM sans the Ledger tragedy as well.

And, PDC, unless I misunderstood KATCH, no one's saying the first 6 were flops. But, this one's going to gross nearly $1.5B WW. That's nearly double the highest earner in the franchise.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

For Paul  :ph34r:

I've been a fan of the series since F&F and I saw FF4-FF7 all on their opening day. It's just that I never saw any of these movies for him.  

I love FF7 but it breaks out big for the wrong reason.

As long as Guardians 2 is good it has a 400m chance simply because although it's Marvel it's more sci-fi and fresh than superhero film. I think Marvel films are going to start flatlining in that the Avengers movies gross less while the standalone movies grows a bit more (with avengers still being the big films)

• Like 1

I liked Furious 7 but I agree. I also think it resulted to better reviews than expected. Many giving the thumbs up just for the expert handling of the Walker's exit. It likely earns roughly $275M DOM sans the Walker tragedy. And, while fantastic, TDK likely earns around $450M DOM sans the Ledger tragedy as well.

And, PDC, unless I misunderstood KATCH, no one's saying the first 6 were flops. But, this one's going to gross nearly $1.5B WW. That's nearly double the highest earner in the franchise.

Thank you.

Never said FF7 wouldn't have made shitload of money but without Paul's death it wouldn't have had a chance in hell to surpass DH2 OS.

Blame Marvel for not letting Whedon release the movie he wanted.

:ph34r:

I do blame them, mostly Feige. I also blame him for chasing off Edgar Wright. Now, the only guys directing Marvel Studios projects that I'm really excited about are James Gunn and, though not nearly as much, the Russos.

But, again, I feel Markus/McFeely/Russos are much more on board, even if they butt heads on occasion, with Feige/Marvel than Whedon. Markus/McFeely already penned three films for Marvel Studios and the Russos appear to jumping in head first in directing Civil War and the Infinity Wars flicks.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer