antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

I am referring to how they came to be.

They basically pillaged the catalogues of the studios, 100 years in the making.

That s exactly what vultures & leeches do.

Or parasites.

And people applaud them.

#IAMWITHNOLAN

Did you think the same thing about video stores and video on demand? What about distributors?

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am referring to how they came to be.

They basically pillaged the catalogues of the studios, 100 years in the making.

That s exactly what vultures & leeches do.

Or parasites.

And people applaud them.

#IAMWITHNOLAN

Pillaging is theft after conquering. 

They can't use what hasn't been sold or licensed

WB bought MGM's entire back catalog.  Does that make them parasites and vultures?  That back catalog makes money that also helps pay Nolan his  $20m + 20%.

Edited by TalismanRing

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I think Hitman’s Bodyguard went to Netflix Japan after a few weeks of release in the US but this is different

went day and date there I believe, just that no one bothered to pirate till a few weeks later...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I will Never, ever understand why one would rather watch a movie on a fucking Laptop, PC or TV when one could watch it in a theater. I will never get it and im happy that i wont.

The cinema can be expensive depending on where you live and other patrons can be very annoying.

I enjoy the escapism of a theater experience, but it'd be disingenuous to wonder why many people would prefer to catch new releases from the convenience of their own home.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I will Never, ever understand why one would rather watch a movie on a fucking Laptop, PC or TV when one could watch it in a theater. I will never get it and im happy that i wont.

The shit is expensive. You pay for tickets. You pay for transport. You have to pay for someone to babysit.

Sometimes you might have that money and the time available to watch a movie, but not the time available to go out to the cinema and watch a movie. 

On top of that I have no idea what these Americans are saying half the time so I need subtitles. Also these damn films today are too long, bring back the intermission or let me pause the shit.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Lest we forget that the movie that’s sold the most tickets is nearly 4 hours long and came out in 1939.  If anything, movies today are far shorter than that

A. They had intermission 

B. Back then people wouldn’t watch a movie from the start, they’d go to the cinema at a random point during the film and leave at random points. If they liked what they saw they come back for the stuff they missed. Or not come back at all.

I don't think an overseas streaming release more than two weeks after the movie is out here will affect the box office that much. 

But I'll say that if theaters are having problems drawing audiences, there are far more pertinent reasons than the length of the movies.

Edited by tribefan695

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I would sacrifice the big screen for watching in a distraction free environment. People in my area do not shut the fuck up in theaters.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I would sacrifice the big screen for watching in a distraction free environment. People in my area do not shut the fuck up in theaters.

Therein lies the irony and the problem. The theater is supposed to be the "distraction free environment"

• Thanks 1

Quentin Tarantino went on record saying one of the saddest days of his life is when Darren Aronofky told him he was doing sound mixes of his movies for smartphones.

#IAMWITHQT

Edited by The Futurist