antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

I went to the cinema tonight. The guy right next to me rustled his giant bag of Doritos for a full hour. If I were to say anything, I'd be seen as the troublemaker because loudly eating food in a movie theater is normal.

This is why people may not like to go to the cinema if they can watch a new movie at home.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I went to the cinema tonight. The guy right next to me rustled his giant bag of Doritos for a full hour. If I were to say anything, I'd be seen as the troublemaker because loudly eating food in a movie theater is normal.

This is why people may not like to go to the cinema if they can watch a new movie at home.

My jimmies are always rustled when rustling happens :gold: It happened behind me at Coco today for the entire movie :( 

• Like 2

Of course, if audiences react like they apparently did in that test screening, perhaps making it available for private viewing isn't such a bad thing.

The big source of frustration for us will be that we won't be able to quantify its success; internationally, anyway.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Of course, if audiences react like they apparently did in that test screening, perhaps making it available for private viewing isn't such a bad thing.

The big source of frustration for us will be that we won't be able to quantify its success; internationally, anyway.

The Deadline article guesses/implies that the Netflix purchase covered the bulk of production expenses. I think a modest domestic run would be a success... maybe anything over 30m?

11 hours ago, Lor San Tele said:

I'm pretty sure the "poor test screening" cited in the article is the version both me and @Gopher raved about. 

I think there was a version in October that seemed to be mixed with audience reactions. I think I heard this from someone who saw this movie. I heard they liked it too. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

The Deadline article guesses/implies that the Netflix purchase covered the bulk of production expenses. I think a modest domestic run would be a success... maybe anything over 30m?

The deal calls for Netflix to cover a good chunk of the production budget, which is in the $55 million range.

Hard to say without knowing what they mean by good chunk, is it 25m, 30m, 35m more ? There is a lot of money in International TV (I assume Netflix asked for some exclusivity here in many market), so it must be a good amount.

But yes maybe anything over 30m

Just now, Barnack said:

The deal calls for Netflix to cover a good chunk of the production budget, which is in the $55 million range.

Hard to say without knowing what they mean by good chunk, is it 25m, 30m, 35m more ? There is a lot of money in International TV (I assume Netflix asked for some exclusivity here in many market), so it must be a good amount.

But yes maybe anything over 30m

Netflix buys out all rights, so yeah, they’d be paying for all levels of OS distribution. 

On 12/7/2017 at 2:30 PM, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not in Orlando proper; I'm an hour north. My county (Lake) skews old. There are about 8 or 9 theaters in the Orlando area playing Disaster Artist.

Ah okay. Yeah that makes more sense. I just couldn't see Orlando not getting stuff like that.

On 08/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Lor San Tele said:

I'm pretty sure the "poor test screening" cited in the article is the version both me and @Gopher hypothetically raved about. 

You liking a movie trailer or actual movie has never been a good sign...movie always ends up with mixed reviews i.e. rotten on RT (40-59%) and boxoffice flop/bomb.

@That One Guyhas similar powers as well.

We made the film for cinema. I’ve got no problem with the small screen at all. The best genre piece I’ve seen in a long time was The Handmaid’s Tale, so I think there’s incredible potential within that context, but if you’re doing that – you make it for that [medium] and you think of it in those terms. Look… it is what it is. The film is getting a theatrical release in the States, which I’m really pleased about. One of the big pluses of Netflix is that it goes out to a lot of people and you don’t have that strange opening weekend thing where you’re wondering if anyone is going to turn up and then if they don’t, it vanishes from cinema screens in two weeks. So it’s got pluses and minuses, but from my point of view and the collective of the people who made it – [it was made] to be seen on a big screen.

http://collider.com/alex-garland-annihilation-interview/

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 5