kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

loki was the perfect villain because he was clearly related to one of the main heroes and had already appeared in a previous movie, tying avengers 1 to everything really nicely

I see what you guys are saying about F7 vs AoU, but how is 191mil OW not connecting with the zeitgeist. That's a lot of fucking people no matter how you spin it.

Doom and Gloom out weigh the positive in this case..

Making a lot of money and connecting with the zeitgest are two entirely different things (although they could certainly overlap and converge). 

In 1991, Thelma & Louise grossed a modest total of 45 million dollars domestically, while Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves made a whopping 165 million.

Yet, T&L was the movie that became a watershed moment in cinema and a buzzworthy event that garnered a Time Magazine cover, incessant philosophical and sociological debate, and a place in Hollywood's pantheon of most iconic movies (with one of cinema's most iconic scenes...the last shot of the Thunderbird convertible racing over the cliff).

Robin Hood, meanwhile, was simply a movie that had big box office but zero cultural impact...

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

your crazy, this movie will be hugely profitable with 450m domestic and 1.5B+ worldwide. Plenty of merchandizing and video sales for these type of movies (its disney afterall)

oh never said flop, just that disney wanted 1.8 to 2b and it could end up with 1.4b.. hardly numbers to be pleased with. This is avengers 2, not a normal sequel extasty. The ssequel should have least made 550 m domestic and 1.3b os Edited by Superman001

You need to eliminate all the part 2 to part 3 movies.

Next, you need to take their original grosses, not with all the re-releases (Star Wars).

Also, most of these part 2 movies didn't have the same hype going in.

There are plenty of other movies had had increases:

Shrek 1 to Shrek 2

Pirates 1 to Pirates 2

CA 1 to CA 2

Thor 1 to Thor 2

Transformers 1 to Transformers 2

Lo

Just off the top of my head.

lotr everyone increased. Avatar 2. Will do the same and be the first Sequel that beats its world dominating predecessor
  • Like 1

lotr everyone increased. Avatar 2. Will do the same and be the first Sequel that beats its world dominating predecessor

Sorry Kal. I see bigger decrease for Avatar 2 than what Avengers is seeing. JC has waited too long for the sequel. He should have gotten on with it immediately after the 1st one and released within 4 years of it while the rod was hot.

• Like 2

loki was the perfect villain because he was clearly related to one of the main heroes and had already appeared in a previous movie, tying avengers 1 to everything really nicely

That could've been done with Ultron too ...if Marvel had used Ant-Man for Phase 1 and adhered to his actual comic book roots.

Sorry Kal. I see bigger decrease for Avatar 2 than what Avengers is seeing. JC has waited too long for the sequel. He should have gotten on with it immediately after the 1st one and released within 4 years of it while the rod was hot.

Not gonna happen. Just watch.

Sun AOU could look at 22.5-24, Sat should get higher than current est unless Fri drops with Actuals

So possibly around 78M second weekend then with actuals (unless WC disappoints with late shows again).

So far this year, lowballing seems to be the way to go with the BSG. Most guesses in the BSG seem to be 81M+ for the 2nd weekend.

Edited by grim22

Sun AOU could look at 22.5-24, Sat should get higher than current est unless Fri drops with Actuals

Thanks. Too bad it won't reach 80mil. I love round numbers!

What's the chance of AOU finishing under F7 worldwide?

Since AOU might miss 1.5b I'd say 50%.

I enjoyed AOU from start to finish, there're some boring parts here and there but I felt greatly satisfied when I finished it.

FF7 was very fun, such an over the top entertainment, but the last 5 mins let it down and that left me with a sour taste. :ph34r:

Plus AOU had way more likable characters. :)

Huh??

The last five minutes that literally everyone loves?

The last five minutes that take the movie from being a good action movie to the best tearjerker in recent memory?

I can't comprehend this.

???

• Like 3

LOL at The D Train. Didn't know what IFC was thinking when they decided on a nationwide release.

Something to put in perspective: D Train opened wider than Boyhood ever hit.

Whoa! Ray doesn't do reports on Box Office Mojo anymore

The new guy doesn't seem to know shit. #BringBackRay or at least let him move to Badass Digest or something.