Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

I would say MM would be front loaded, like Watchmen level front loaded. But then a combination of reviews and Tele convinced me otherwise...

Still, that preview # is double what I expected. So hats off to WB, whether it not it stays front-loaded, it's still a success considering how badly it could have done.

Phenomenal for Mad Max. Considering presales were skewing heavily towards PP2, the fact that it came within 20% is great. I am sure its hitting 20m today.

While the genre is universal, the execution might not make it universal. But it will play wide enough to do extremely well. I dont agree with "front loaded as hell" comments. Phenomenal reviews will bring in GA for sure.

Actually Fandango had them neck and neck for presales. They were only ahead by a large margin on Movietickets.com.

Edited by Ecstasy

Compared to PP2, Max will be less front loaded. PP2 is the one with the screaming teen fanbase & the last Mx movie starred Tina Turner in 1985 (!!!). MMFR is full of hard core S&M imagery, not really a clean-cut Disney product like Ultron. I think this movie will surprise GA and pull in  more unsuspecting & curious crowds in the 2nd weekend. I saw it and walked out filled with the urge to go back for 2nd viewing. The last time I had this feeling was when I first saw Empire Strikes Back, Matrix, Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, LOTR1/2/3, Gravity & the Indiana Jones movies.

Edited by zackzack

Actually Fandango had them neck and neck for presales. They were only ahead by a large margin on Movietickets.com.

Correct. It was closer at fandango. This proves fandango is lot more relevant than movietickets. But I think this will be even more walk in movie than PP2 considering the phenomenal reviews.

Correct. It was closer at fandango. This proves fandango is lot more relevant than movietickets. But I think this will be even more walk in movie than PP2 considering the phenomenal reviews.

I am eager to see how this all unfolds. I want to see how much the fantastic reviews impact the box office and watch it build from word of mouth. 

Still boring to casual audiences till jurassic world.

We'll have to see about that. Casual audience is made up of a lot of different people with varying tastes.  There are a lot of "action" fans in the casual audience. Even if there is a limit on the sci fi audience with these types of movies, the ridiculous amount of action could be just the fix for action/adventure junkies.

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 1

Just got back from the cinema.

Only 11 people including myself were in the audi.

I liked it quite a lot, but everyone else seemed bored. My gf was the only girl in the theatre and she hated it. She didn't like what happened to one of the wives in the movie and felt it was overrated garbage, strictly made for action junkies who wanna watch something when on substance.

I knew she hated it, so I kinda pretended I didn't like either.

MAD MAX FURY ROAD:

The future belongs to Practical Effects

At one point, Fury Road was going to be a Perfcap movie. Miller loves CGI and its freedom cf. Happy Feet so that CGI vs practical FX pitting is useless for him. He uses both tools like a master totally in control of what he wants to make out of them to enhance, heighten and serve his vision. I'd say his Happy Feet experience was a catalyser to unleash the physical camera to new heights that he applied to Mad Max's live action. But that movie is digitally tricked up to the wazoo.

For hence:

That aerial helicopter shot of the wild bunch of cars coming full throttle in the desert that travels down to end on the ground with the cars rolling over it. That is something bonkers to pull off .

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

Two quick begs from Blank about this thread:

1. Can we avoid the vague references to Mad Max that are actually spoilers about the movie?

2. When Pitch Perfect comes out on top, can we also avoid the insults based on gender because it's not Mad Max?

Thanks~

• Like 7