Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

That's....great for Mad Max. The Great Gatsby did 3.25m two years ago. 50m weekend "could" be on the table.

Doubt Gatsby's the best comparison. I'm still thinking it hits low 40s with that, maybe high 30s if it's overly front loaded. The high pre-release buzz probably caused a little bit more rush than there would have been otherwise.

50m would be fantastic though.

• Like 2

MM is going to be frontloaded....no question.

Do you mean weekend wise or long term? I see it holding up fairly well since reviews and audience reactions seem really good....that is long term. 

Edited by Hiccup21

Do you mean weekend wise or long term? I see it holding up fairly well since reviews and audience reactions seem really good.

It's more likely to hold well over the long term, because WOM won't settle in before the weekend is done.

Sucks for Poltergeist, though lol. PP2 is gonna make it lick the shit off it's shoes next weekend.

Edited by Alpha

Forg, any info about SM City San Mateo Cinema schedule? Has it opened?

Yes the movie opened in the Philippines yesterday (May 14). I think it's showing in SM City San Mateo unless it has less than 4 theaters

Well, if we're looking at R-rated male-targeting films, Neighbors had $2.56M previews to $49M OW.

Neighbors still isn't great R Rated Comedy =\= R rated action

Edge of Tomorrow did 1.8 in comparison. Mad Max about doubled that, however I think it'll have a bit more front loading (especially since the TV spots I saw emphasized a Thursday night release), so I'd say about 1.5x-1.75x its weekend seems like a decent starting range.

43.3m-50mish id think (which is great), however if it's more front loaded than I'm expecting it could end up lower.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Yes the movie opened in the Philippines yesterday (May 14). I think it's showing in SM City San Mateo unless it has less than 4 theaters

It has 4 cinemas to be exact. I actually live in San Mateo and I can't find any info regarding the movie schedule. The traffic earlier was crazy. I wasn't able to visit it and just decided to go home.

I don't think Mad Max is going to be more front loaded than Pitch Perfect 2, but I don't think there will even be much of a difference.

For a comparison to Pitch Perfect, 22 Jump Street made $5.5m, but I think a lot of Pitch Perfect's target audience may be going on Friday night.

So far, I'm guessing $22m for PP2 and 18m for Mad Max.

• Like 1

Phenomenal for Mad Max. Considering presales were skewing heavily towards PP2, the fact that it came within 20% is great. I am sure its hitting 20m today.

While the genre is universal, the execution might not make it universal. But it will play wide enough to do extremely well. I dont agree with "front loaded as hell" comments. Phenomenal reviews will bring in GA for sure.