Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The first movie only opened at 54 million and this movie has had much less buzz. Not to mention the concept isn't as fun a second time around. Especially with a pretty generic plot it has. Even Fandango poll had Pitch Perfect 2 ranked ahead on the summer movies anticipated summer comedy. So I'd still be surprised if it opens above 60 million.

Polls mean nothing. PP2's target audience is far more rabid about things and much more active online than a large chunk of Ted 2's audience.

And I'd like to see you quantify Ted 2 having less buzz than Ted, especially since we're still 6 weeks from release.

Edited by PDC1987

Age of Adeline is turning into a very leggy movie. Will end with around 45M or so after opening to 13M.

The audience is over 25, probably more than likely 50+ and they will pay to go to the theaters.

Woman in Gold is holding well too, it probably shares a similar audience.  

Max is doing better than could have been realistically expected even two weeks ago, but it has ended up on a lower end of expectations created by the midnight number and RTH's projection. For a moment there, it looked like it had a chance at a really good run, now it looks like it's probably just gonna have a bland, boring 45/120 run. Neither a flop nor a smash hit, just a slightly bigger Pacific Rim. It's not disappointing in the grand scheme of things, but I can see how it would be to people who love the movie and are rooting for it. 

I never really thought it was the type of movie that was going to hit with general audiences even with the great reviews. Unspectacular box office run, but becomes a cult classic like many other films. 

• Like 1

I never really thought it was the type of movie that was going to hit with general audiences even with the great reviews. Unspectacular box office run, but becomes a cult classic like many other films. 

The term "cult classic" is so overused. Re-Animator is a cult classic. A film that opens to $40 million and tops $100 million does not have a cult following, it has large amounts of fans. Even when art films top $30 million domestically it's said they "crossed over to the mainstream."

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

Yeah... Agreed. Thinking Poltergeist, San Andreas are the immediate competition.

Poltergeist will appeal to maybe young adults and people who are curious about it since it's 1982 original film is well memorable and is effective to this day. San Andreas is reasonable because it has that event movie to it

Poltergeist will appeal to maybe young adults and people who are curious about it since it's 1982 original film is well memorable and is effective to this day. San Andreas is reasonable because it has that event movie to it

If only Poltergeist was being directed by Tobe Hooper. But, yeah, some of same nostalgic curiosity that worked for Fury Road could help Poltergeist too.

PP2 is pretty good. No standout moments like in the first movie, but it plays really well to its audience and is a real crowd pleaser. Will have great legs IMO.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

PP2 is pretty good. No standout moments like in the first movie, but it plays really well to its audience and is a real crowd pleaser. Will have great legs IMO.

Everyone loves the first one but me... :(