Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Wolf is aight, I enjoyed it but I could see how someone wouldn't.

The point is the movie had great legs (even for a Christmas movie), therefore Cinemascore is not reliable at all for forecasting staying power or WOM.

Edited by tonytr87

Wolf is aight, I enjoyed it but I could see how someone wouldn't.

I am not saying it was not disliked by certain folks. But cinemascore tries to extrapolate overall audience reception based on a small sample set. I think that is wrong as if the movie was received that badly it would not have had that good legs.

Does Warner run Fury Road s glowing reviews tv spots on US television ?

There was one on ESPN during the Warriors-Grizzlies game tonight. Didn't see any of the mainstream critics noted, nor Hammond.

Maybe next week.  

So what's going to have better legs? Mad Max or PP2?

Mad Max should have crazy good WOM.

Not necessarily, good reviews does not mean good WoM, especially in a niche genre movie. I mean critically trashed Grown Ups 2 had better legs and a better opening than a well-reviewed Pacific Rim as an example.

GA members that aren't huge action fans won't love MMFR like many of the members here though, they may prefer a more accessible pitch perfect 2.

Personally I think both will end up with a similar multiplier.

It's obvious AOU was going to finish lower than Avengers 1. As soon as Avengers 1 opened, a lot of people, including myself, knew that a sequel wouldn't have the same novelty factor. Avengers 1 was the first time EVER those heroes were together in a major film. A sequel simply does not have the same impact. However with the Infinity Wars films, things will be a bit different, because those films will have a BIG number of heroes never seen on screen before. That combined with the novelty of being entirely shot in (digital) IMAX should allow either one or both to exceed AOU's gross and possibly exceed Avengers 1's gross.

As for the numbers, AWESOME for Max!

Just read the article about IMAX for Infinity War. The camera is 2D and yet they're going to ruin it with another 3D conversion. Really dislike how IMAX doesn't believe in 2D shows anymore and dislike even more the shitty conversions by studios.

• Like 1

Really amazed that this forum still doesnt understand how much a joke CS is. We go through this with every big opening, even though its commin knowledge CS is only 4 theaters, likely all in LA.

It-means-nothing.

• Like 2

@MisterMcCracken: MAD MAX is paused at Arclight Pasadena because a fight broke out in the theater. Utter insanity.

:rofl:

In Pasadena?!

WHAT A LOVELY DAY!!!

/That's totally going to become the ironic reaction de rigeur for hot mess situations

• Like 3

http://deadline.com/2015/05/pitch-perfect-2-kicking-mad-maxs-box-office-booty-on-track-for-60m-debut-1201428039/

1). Pitch Perfect 2 (UNI), 3,473 theaters / $25M Fri. / 3-day cume: $62M to $65M / Wk 1

2). Mad Max: Fury Road (WB), 3,702 theaters / $16M to $17M Fri. / 3-day cume: $42M to $43.8M / Wk 1

3). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 4,276 theaters (0) / $10.2M to $10.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $37M+ / Total cume: $370.2M / Wk 3

4). Hot Pursuit (WB/MGM/NL), 3,037 theaters (+34) / $1.6M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.6M to $6.2M (-59%) / Total cume: $23.4M / Wk 2

5). Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (SONY), 2,632 theaters (-569) / $850K to $900K Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.5M to $4M / Total cume: $62.8M / Wk 5

6/7).  Furious 7 (UNI), 2,238 theaters (-301) / $950K to $1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.4M to $4.1M / Total cume: $343.8M/ Wk 7

The Age of Adaline (LGF), 2,623 theaters (-447) / $1M+ Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.4M to $4M / Total cume: $37M to $38M / Wk 4

8). Home (FOX/DW), 2,006 theaters (-489) / $500K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.2M / Total cume: $165.4M / Wk 8

9). Ex Machina (A24), 1,718 theaters (-286) / $799K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.8M / Total cume: $19.2M / Wk 6

10). Far From The Madding Crowd (FSL), 289 theaters (+190) / $335K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.3M / Total cume: $2.6M

• Like 2

Age of Ultron could fall under Iron Man 3 today. Thats pretty bad

Given the two openings, and the fact it's kind of been lagging anyway, it's not all that surprising. Besides, I doubt Disney is crying. They are shoveling in the cash from overseas, which is where more and more studios are going to rely on (if not already). Mad Max for instance I think will make a bundle. Heck, I was surprised to see Fifty Shades of Grey actually made over $400M overseas.