grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Because it's a megalodon.

I really don't get.  "Sahara" novel series sold about 40 million copies, and the movie opened to $18 million (around $26 million based on 2018 ticket price.) 

"Meg" novel series sold more than 4 million copies (as of 2011) .  I don't know why "Meg" movie would open much higher. 

4 minutes ago, John2015 said:

I really don't get.  "Sahara" novel series sold about 40 million copies, and the movie opened to $18 million (around $26 million based on 2018 ticket price.) 

"Meg" novel series sold more than 4 million copies (as of 2011) .  I don't know why "Meg" movie would open much higher. 

I just explained:

It's a megalodon.

6 hours ago, John2015 said:

Maybe The Meg will flop, but that is a strange comparison to make. Popularity of a book matters for the box office, but it isn't the only factor.

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This movie is preselling double screens at one of my locals (single screened at the other) even with how tight the market is...that's either one of the dumbest decisions this local has made in awhile, or maybe the teens tracking could be a touch off...

My AMC is planning on booking it for two screens as well; only 2D shows are up in the biggest auditorium, so a 3D screen is more than likely coming.

• Like 2

Its a gigantic shark. I used to believe the film will flop because the first trailer made it look like total trash but im now rooting for this to breakout. Its Jason Statham's bad acting vs a giant shark for gods sake, its fail-proof.

Cant wait to see this masterpiece and upcoming classic.

• Like 1

I mean those early reactions do not indicate future good reviews lol. But that said they most certainly haven't skimped on marketing for this, shit is everywhere. Then again could say the same for Skyscraper

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean those early reactions do not indicate future good reviews lol. But that said they most certainly haven't skimped on marketing for this, shit is everywhere. Then again could say the same for Skyscraper

Skyscraper looked really....been there, done it though. The Meg has a Megalodon. It cant fail.

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised that the first reactions are positive. Expected a pretty unsuspenseful, too goofy film.

I also wouldn't underestimate it at the box office. As often mentioned here people like to see sharks plus giant animals/beasts/creatures as e.g. in Jurassic Park/World, Godzilla or Skull Island. And Skyscraper didn't (fully) deliver as a pure summer blockbuster-, fun- and CGI-film. Plus Statham (in the right film) has its fans. Additionally, The Meg really gets some (we will see how much it increases next week) talking on social media, I noticed that last week when I was looking how M: I 6 is doing in this field. Finally, I can't find an actual budget number but let's say it's indeed 150M. That number alone should cause some curiosity and attract more people. I'm at least much more interested now.
I don't want to exaggerate yet again and throw in a number but these are the reasons why I think the predictions of only 14.5/38M (proboxoffice.com) are way too low.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, el sid said:

I'm pleasantly surprised that the first reactions are positive. Expected a pretty unsuspenseful, too goofy film.

I also wouldn't underestimate it at the box office. As often mentioned here people like to see sharks plus giant animals/beasts/creatures as e.g. in Jurassic Park/World, Godzilla or Skull Island. And Skyscraper didn't (fully) deliver as a pure summer blockbuster-, fun- and CGI-film. Plus Statham (in the right film) has its fans. Additionally, The Meg really gets some (we will see how much it increases next week) talking on social media, I noticed that last week when I was looking how M: I 6 is doing in this field. Finally, I can't find an actual budget number but let's say it's indeed 150M. That number alone should cause some curiosity and attract more people. I'm at least much more interested now.
I don't want to exaggerate yet again and throw in a number but these are the reasons why I think the predictions of only 14.5/38M (proboxoffice.com) are way too low.

Yeah, BOP's prediction is way too low. It makes no sense to have Slender Man about 50% higher than The Meg :lol: 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John2015 said:

Because novel sales don't always equate to box office.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe The Meg will flop, but that is a strange comparison to make. Popularity of a book matters for the box office, but it isn't the only factor.

Because I saw considerable amount of online people defending "The Meg" box office chance by saying the novel series is hugely popular.  (At least, the Variety article is keeping this kinds of comments. ) 

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/meg-shark-movie-history-1202864110/

Of course,  Popularity of a book is only one factor.

"Sahara" is also a very entertaining and fun film.  However, entertaining and fun aren't enough for doing huge box office. ("Rampage" is also very entertaining and fun.)

Jurassic Park/World, Godzilla or Skull Island also have hugely famous IPs and mostly positive reviews. Of course "The Meg" may also get mostly positive reviews.

Edited by John2015
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Because novel sales don't always equate to box office.  

At least you need to be the same "genre" with similar target audience to make the comparison solid. Sharks/monster movies can work as original property.

If you divide the US book sales of the Dan Brown series with the franchise OW, and the correlation between the sales and OW was quite something.

Book sales:

DA VINCI CODE:

83 million

International – 58 million

Domestic – 25 million

ANGEL AND DEMONS:

45 million

International – 30 million

Domestic – 15 million

Box office

1 The Da Vinci Code Sony $217,536,138 3,757 $77,073,388 3,735 5/19/06
2 Angels & Demons Sony $133,375,846 3,527 $46,204,168 3,527 5/15/09

77m/25m = 3.08

46.2m / 15m = 3.08

But even then Inferno plumetted even more than the book sales did.

The correlation between Young adult type sales and box office was not bad either, but far from perfect

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1