grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

I can't wait to see this. Also can't wait to watch it bomb. 18/40 IMO is where it's headed. 

And honestly I can't decide whether I think the 'so bad its good' vibe the marketing is giving off is intentional, or if the producers saw the product and were like fuck it, this movie is so bad we might as well market it as though it is

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I can't wait to see this. Also can't wait to watch it bomb. 18/40 IMO is where it's headed. 

And honestly I can't decide whether I think the 'so bad its good' vibe the marketing is giving off is intentional, or if the producers saw the product and were like fuck it, this movie is so bad we might as well market it as though it is

It’s jason statham beating up a huge shark, how could the producers think that this would be anything else than cheesy b movie madness ?

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Under Deep Blue Seas unadjusted OW (19,1M) would be pretty hilarious - and sad, because the film, without having seen it - will be great. How could it not be? It has a giant shark in it. And Jason Statham.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Under Deep Blue Seas unadjusted OW (19,1M) would be pretty hilarious - and sad, because the film, without having seen it - will be great. How could it not be? It has a giant shark in it. And Jason Statham.

I mean who knows. Maybe the movie is 'great' in its own right and surprises me. Maybe it really does capture an audience and does 40/100 ow something. I don't really know, but from what I've heard it's incredibly dumb/bad but that's just an opinion. 

Just now, DAJK said:

I mean who knows. Maybe the movie is 'great' in its own right and surprises me. Maybe it really does capture an audience and does 40/100 ow something. I don't really know, but from what I've heard it's incredibly dumb/bad but that's just an opinion. 

Yeah well, i dont care if its shitty. Hell, i hope, its shitty, would make it even more entertaining for me. Give me the full camp and badness.

Btw, i also think it will flop HARD and i can see myself buying it on Blu-Ray (after having watched it 5 times in theaters), especially if its really bad lol.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

“Oh my God, it’s Megalodon.”

That’s exactly the kind of line you want Statham to say in a giant shark movie.

I was looking at the release window, and if they could move it up a week or two, it could do okay. What's gonna really hurt is Alpha the very next week, competing for the same audience. 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

1 minute ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I was looking at the release window, and if they could move it up a week or two, it could okay. What's gonna really hurt is Alpha the very next week, competing for the same audience. 

I think you and slambros might be the only two people who remember Alpha exists. 

I don't see this being big but it has pretty much the best possible date, not too close to either MI6 or September. 

• Like 1

I gotta say I was really with the trailer until it turned openly comedic. It smacked of them just picking the easy road like "oh shit our concept is too ridiculous let's get in front of everyone saying so by loudly pointing it out ourselves". There's a way to make something silly and fun and unpretentious out of this premise without being so tryhard about it. 

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

I gotta say I was really with the trailer until it turned openly comedic. It smacked of them just picking the easy road like "oh shit our concept is too ridiculous let's get in front of everyone saying so by loudly pointing it out ourselves". There's a way to make something silly and fun and unpretentious out of this premise without being so tryhard about it. 

The next Mission Impossible (and the previous 2) seem to be playing that note quite well and arguably the Jurassic Worlds (commercial result speak for itself).

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

“Oh my God, it’s Megalodon.”

That’s exactly the kind of line you want Statham to say in a giant shark movie.

I want Statham to give us a chorus of "Spanish Ladies"...

• Like 1