K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

No it's not bullshit.  Not many had it doing 100 mill at all.  I should know I had the fucking thread for it Noctis.  So kiss off.

You're saying no one had it doing over 80m which is the biggest bullshit ever. MANY, MANY, MANY had it hitting $80m. But no one thought it would do over $110m, let alone $142m.

You're saying no one had it doing over 80m which is the biggest bullshit ever. MANY, MANY, MANY had it hitting $80m. But no one thought it would do over $110m, let alone $142m.

Sure they did Noctis, like a day or so away when tracking came in.  

More I think about this number more it gets crazy. It had 64.4M proper Friday easily surpassing TA1's record of 62.1M. OD was far from frontloaded. It's previews were lower share than TA1's midnight number. I really think OW record is going down.

It is possible, but remember that JP4 did have college and high school kids on summer break during school hours while TA1 didn't. So it would have been easier to hit that kind of day business in June than early May.

Still an unbelievable number. I don't think anyone other than Excel thought a Jurassic Park movie would be the one to take that day business record. It blew past the number by over $2m. Spielberg's dinosaurs are awesome.

• Like 1

Disny is not prolific enough. Beyond Pixar, & Marvel, their line-up is almost nonexistent compared to Warner & Fox. They seem to unable to develop their own live-action tent pole outside of the Pirates movies, examples: Tomorrowland, Lone Ranger & John Carter.

It's because they adhere to a Disney squeaky clean template formula production line. 

It restricts crossover and phenomenon appeal by trying to make the safe zone of $200m each time out (Oz, Maleficent, Cinderella). 

Besides Pirates, Disney has made zero live action movies that have reached cultural zeitgeist level. I guess it doesn't help that they keep rehashing everything and that holds them back. 

Honestly with Inside Out right now, I'm just hoping for a miracle and it to take down Day After Tomorrow

IO is pretty much fucked by the schedule. Opening after a family movie makes 200M is hard. Add the fact that it's legs will be destroyed by Minions a few weeks later and even te lower expectations of people around here might be too much.

If anyone suggested a coupledays ago that JW would come close to the highest OW of all time they would've been laughed of the internet.

Why did no one see this coming? Did we underestimate the appeal towards kids and their gen X parents?

The original was the biggest movie of all time when it came out, people forget how huge that film was I think. The sequel broke the opening weekend record and ended up not being liked very much, yet, the third one still did bidness at the box.