K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

No.

Overperforming is not gonna make it act like the exact opposite kind of film it is.

right because godzilla didn't overperform and then act like the exact opposite kind of film it is

Between Batman and Jurassic Park both coming back from the dead, I guess we should never count out a seemingly dead mega franchise. Who wants to be the one to predict the next Spider-Man blows up?

No franchise is ever dead, it just needs the right people to revive it from a coma

Between Batman and Jurassic Park both coming back from the dead, I guess we should never count out a seemingly dead mega franchise. Who wants to be the one to predict the next Spider-Man blows up?

Not if they reboot it again with another teen spider-man. They need to do something dramatically different to rebound. Also the problem for SM is we have way too many SH movies these days. How would a SM movie stand out in between Avengers and Justice league movies. Batman brokeout just as Marvel released and we have not see dinos for a long time.

• Like 1

I guess there are 3 ingredients needed:

- A franchise people love killed by bad decisions

- A decent movie

- Time, the franchise needs to remain dead for some time for the past installments to fade from memory and only retain the good memories

Let's see if Terminator can do well, maybe not great but better than expected by anyone.

Not if they reboot it again with another teen spider-man. They need to do something dramatically different to rebound. Also the problem for SM is we have way too many SH movies these days. How would a SM movie stand out in between Avengers and Justice league movies. Batman brokeout just as Marvel released and we have not see dinos for a long time.

Yeah, 8.5 years since the last dino movie vs a matter of weeks between SH movies for the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Here's a funny scenario. Say it opens in the high 70's and reaches 190ish like TA2. Basically the same weekend gross and two completely different perspectives. One is incredible, the other a big letdown. Such is life in box office tracking, haha.

Will anything defeat the BSG surprises over the years if Jurassic World managed to be #1 this summer?

I guess there are 3 ingredients needed:

- A franchise people love killed by bad decisions

- A decent movie

- Time, the franchise needs to remain dead for some time for the past installments to fade from memory and only retain the good memories

Let's see if Terminator can do well, maybe not great but better than expected by anyone.

T3 was 12 years after T2. In the case of that franchise there was all kinds of good will built by the first two movies. T3 underperformed and then T4 did even worse 6 years later. Add another 6 years and I'm betting it won't be able to rebound like we're seeing with JW.

• Like 1

Okay so $150-170, sounds freaking amazing. This is the BO I love, the surprise runs. I hate run of the mill, we all called it type of runs. Fun fun times ahead for BO tracking.

I don't see (if these numbers hold) how 170M doesn't happen. Guardians is the best comparison point for several reasons, and that gives us an OW minimum of 178M

That said I shouldn't set myself up for disappointment but this is one big pile of holy shit.

I didn't think American Sniper's shockingly huge OW could be topped in box office surprise this summer, but this might take the cake if the numbers hold.

Noah, we had people calling this into be 150M huge. With American Sniper the highest OW predictions were in like the thirties. So basically here a movie that people thought was.gonna be huge nis gonna be more.huge.than expected. With AS it topped some of the most optimistic predictions on Opening Day.

right because godzilla didn't overperform and then act like the exact opposite kind of film it is

You're being glib out of denial and desperation.

1.) Godzilla had 1/10th the family appeal JW and the JP franchise has.

2.) Even Godzilla did not have an OD to OW multiplier of 2 or less like you suggested for JW.

3.) Godzilla had instant negative WOM.

Edited by PDC1987

T3 was 12 years after T2. In the case of that franchise there was all kinds of good will built by the first two movies. T3 underperformed and then T4 did even worse 6 years later. Add another 6 years and I'm betting it won't be able to rebound like we're seeing with JW.

The Jurassic World interviews to promote JW are hilarious in the sense they keep rambling about the first Jurassic Park was 22 years ago, how great it was bla bla, like JP 2&3 never existed.

Like Jurassic World is the sequel to Jurassic Park.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

The Jurassic World interviews to promote JW are hilarious in the sense they keep rambling about the first Jurassic Park was 22 years ago, how great it was bla bla, like the JP 2&3 never existed.

Like Jurassic World is the sequel to Jurassic Park.

Well, it is, pretty much