grim22

Monday #s: Jurassic World 25.34M | DOWN GOES TDK MONDAY

Private schools perhaps? I think some have different semester ends. 

Some schools on the east coast don't get out until the 2nd or 3rd week of June.   All the schools in my neck of the woods break for summer the week around Memorial Day.  But, I have some friends on the east coast who's kids are still in school.

25.1 looks like a really good number, is it supposed to be bad?

Relative to the fact a lot of people expected less than $300m total for this, a $25m Monday is out of this world great. But in order to hit 600+ like some of us are now hoping, I'm not so sure that number is putting it on a great track. 575 is definitely in play though.

In MI, the private schools start earlier and get out earlier. We have a state law that prohibits public schools from starting until after Labor Day, so no earlier than Sept 2nd. Private schools generally start up in late August though. But then private schools get out either the last week in May or the first week of June, whereas public schools are done at the end of the second week of June.

It tracked a lot like TA over the weekend, but with a better Monday hold because of summer weekdays. I think this is why a 100M 2nd weekend is out of the question, though.

100 definitely seems tough from a 25 Monday. But Father's Day could give it a good boost. Avengers dropped 28% on its second Sunday while Man of Steel dropped less than 1% on Father's Day.

What would its Friday have to be for 100m to be in play?

Based on Man of Steel's 3.29 internal multiplier on Father's Day weekend, a $30m Friday would be required. That's a tough comparison though because Man of Steel actually opened on Father's Day weekend and it's always hard to compare an opener with a second weekend.

With Fathers Day, I see this doing around 100-105M for its second weekend.  Right on track for 600m IMO....and if it gets some good late legs, surpassing TA could be on the table. 

I don't disagree with you, it is tracking like a family film. It had a bigger Monday drop than TDK, which of course was preceeded by that record Sunday.

What I don't get is what the hell parents are thinking bringing kids to JW. Talk about a movie that is NOT family friendly... unless one enjoys children who suffer from night terrors. This film has a solid PG-13 rating and I wouldn't go below 11. Yet there were insane parents who had kids as young as 2... TWO!!!!.... in the showing I went to. This country is f'd up. It's back to Roman times, when people getting eating by lions and tigers was good entertainment.

I've got to respectfully disagree. Despite your hyperbolic last sentence, I am in the camp that thinks no 2 year old kids should really be in any movie theater. A loud movie theater probably isn't good for a toddler and a toddler is definitely not for an audience.

I don't think JW is too scary for kids in the least though. I think it's toally fine for ages 5 and up on average. You have to know your kid though.

Based on Man of Steel's 3.29 internal multiplier on Father's Day weekend, a $30m Friday would be required. That's a tough comparison though because Man of Steel actually opened on Father's Day weekend and it's always hard to compare an opener with a second weekend.

I was thinking 28-30m as well. TA got 103m based off a 29.2m Friday but it had the benefit of higher Saturday increases due to it being in May. But the FD effect should offset that so I think if JW gets within that range 100m should be on the table.

I don't disagree with you, it is tracking like a family film. It had a bigger Monday drop than TDK, which of course was preceeded by that record Sunday. What I don't get is what the hell parents are thinking bringing kids to JW. Talk about a movie that is NOT family friendly... unless one enjoys children who suffer from night terrors. This film has a solid PG-13 rating and I wouldn't go below 11. Yet there were insane parents who had kids as young as 2... TWO!!!!.... in the showing I went to. This country is f'd up. It's back to Roman times, when people getting eating by lions and tigers was good entertainment. I've got to respectfully disagree. Despite your hyperbolic last sentence, I am in the camp that thinks no 2 year old kids should really be in any movie theater. A loud movie theater probably isn't good for a toddler and a toddler is definitely not for an audience. I don't think JW is too scary for kids in the least though. I think it's toally fine for ages 5 and up on average. You have to know your kid though.
Any movie with a gory discretion shot automatically raises its age requirement to double digits
  • Like 1

Ok, here's some perspective.

It's the biggest June Monday by 10 million

The Dark Knight had it's big Monday in July, when everyone is out of school.

Spiderman, Indy and Pirates were all holiday Mondays.

So how exactly is this disappointing?  I think some of you are trolling.

• Like 10

It tracked a lot like TA over the weekend, but with a better Monday hold because of summer weekdays. I think this is why a 100M 2nd weekend is out of the question, though.

Yup. Exactly how I feel. It's weekday drops will be greater than TDK but less than TA due to it being mid-June. It's weekend numbers will be greater than TDK but less than TA due to being mid-June.

Who in the hell's calling it disappointing? It's tracking, albeit in a different month, much like the two previous summer juggernauts of the last decade. This thing's gonna perform like TDK and TA.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1