grim22

Monday #s: Jurassic World 25.34M | DOWN GOES TDK MONDAY

Ok, here's some perspective.

It's the biggest June Monday by 10 million

The Dark Knight had it's big Monday in July, when everyone is out of school.

Spiderman, Indy and Pirates were all holiday Mondays.

So how exactly is this disappointing?  I think some of you are trolling.

It's nothing disappointing there. It just starts to put dreams like it beating Avengers in first little doubts in my opinion.

Edited by Poseidon

i think you understimate families for this 2nd week end ...

Until now the film has not play like another one... and families tend to go in theater in week end like me...

So many many MANY of them could not go last week end you ll see:)

• Like 1

i think you understimate families for this 2nd week end ...

Until now the film has not play like another one... and families tend to go in theater in week end like me...

So many many MANY of them could not go last week end you ll see:)

It's playing almost identically to The Avengers though it has the benefit of June weekday numbers as opposed to May weekday numbers.

It's playing almost identically to The Avengers though it has the benefit of June weekday numbers as opposed to May weekday numbers.

I don't know if you quite worded that how you meant. They're not playing identically. 25 is pretty far ahead of 18.9 thanks to the summer weekday effect you mentioned.

After 10 days it will have a similar total to TA1 but they will get there different ways. TA had smaller weekdays and a bigger second weekend while JP4 is having bigger weekdays with a likely smaller second weekend. I'm thinking around 375-380 after 10 days. TA was at 373.

• Like 1

100 definitely seems tough from a 25 Monday. But Father's Day could give it a good boost. Avengers dropped 28% on its second Sunday while Man of Steel dropped less than 1% on Father's Day.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think even with FD 100M is out of reach. Part of the issue is that a genuine family movie opens Friday, and even though it is a new IP it has the Pixar brand behind it. I think JW will win the weekend but IO will eat away enough money to make 100 unrealistic. I'm thinking 85-90M for JW and 70-75M for IO (a bit better than UP's opening).

I've got to respectfully disagree. Despite your hyperbolic last sentence, I am in the camp that thinks no 2 year old kids should really be in any movie theater. A loud movie theater probably isn't good for a toddler and a toddler is definitely not for an audience.

I don't think JW is too scary for kids in the least though. I think it's toally fine for ages 5 and up on average. You have to know your kid though.

My last sentence was not hyperbolic. You and I know that CGI dinosaurs aren't really eating people, but to a 5 year old that's no different than watching a lion eat someone in the arena. I frankly don't care what a parent thinks their child can or can't handle. JW is simply not suitable viewing for anyone under 10 or 11. It's poor parenting and I would tell anyone that to their face.

• Like 1

I don't know if you quite worded that how you meant. They're not playing identically. 25 is pretty far ahead of 18.9 thanks to the summer weekday effect you mentioned.

After 10 days it will have a similar total to TA1 but they will get there different ways. TA had smaller weekdays and a bigger second weekend while JP4 is having bigger weekdays with a likely smaller second weekend. I'm thinking around 375-380 after 10 days. TA was at 373.

You're right. What I meant was, the weekdays and weekends will differ but it seems to be on the same overall trajectory as The Avengers... For now. Even with Father's Day, I see it burning off enough demand over the weekdays that its second weekend is considerably lower The Avengers second weekend. I'm thinking $80M or so.

It's nothing disappointing there. It just starts to put dreams like it beating Avengers in first little doubts in my opinion.

Until it bahaves more like a family film on the weekend and falls by about 55%.  That would give it about 95 million and a gargantuan second weekend.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think even with FD 100M is out of reach. Part of the issue is that a genuine family movie opens Friday, and even though it is a new IP it has the Pixar brand behind it. I think JW will win the weekend but IO will eat away enough money to make 100 unrealistic. I'm thinking 85-90M for JW and 70-75M for IO (a bit better than UP's opening).

Agreed on everything. I think JP4 will be around 290 after 7 days and then 85-90 weekend will put it at 375-380 after 10 days.

Shrek 2 and The Day After Tomorrow coexisted just fine in 2004 in a similar situation where there was very little going on beneath them. Shrek 2's adjusted 2nd weekend is 94.3m while TDAT's OW adjusts to 90m.

The marketplace can definitely expand to allow JW and IO to coexist.

• Like 2

Until it bahaves more like a family film on the weekend and falls by about 55%.  That would give it about 95 million and a gargantuan second weekend.

May happen, of course. It's just that drop bigger than TS3 after Father's day, that makes me wonder...