#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Summer 2014 was just a disaster for Hollywood. Guardians (and maybe 22 Jump Street) was the only film to survive the wreckage. Just mediocre performer after disappointment after mediocre performer.

Summer 2014 was just a disaster for Hollywood. Guardians (and maybe 22 Jump Street) was the only film to survive the wreckage. Just mediocre performer after disappointment after mediocre performer.

TMNT  :ph34r:

I agree, but it was still a turd box office wise :lol:

2014 summer was crazy. 1 300M grosser, 1 250M grosser, 1 100M OW and 4 90M openers. There was no single lightning rod of a movie which everyone needed to rush out to see, even Guardians will probably end up #4 or even #5 compared to this years summer movies.

• Like 1

Apes and X-Men did ok. I mean, it wasn't realistic to expect four quad breakouts from them

Apes died out way quicker than expected. For the great reviews and word of mouth it had, not even reaching a 3x was disappointing domestically. It did well WW though.

• Like 1

I assume you mean domestic. There was plenty of money made worldwide with the various 2014 summer releases.

2014 summer was crazy. 1 300M grosser, 1 250M grosser, 1 100M OW and 4 90M openers. There was no single lightning rod of a movie which everyone needed to rush out to see, even Guardians will probably end up #4 or even #5 compared to this years summer movies.

Guardians got lucky. It looked incredibly original and different from everything else. Add to that the fact that people had stayed at home the whole Summer and we got a 330M+ hit. Summer 2014 was the key to the OW record going down this year :lol: Guardians was only a mega hit because the rest of the Summer line-up performer poorly, Guardians made Chris Pratt a mega star, Chris Pratt is the lead in JW which causes a spike of interest between young adults and combined with the legendary brand it smashes the OW record :lol: 

Apes died out way quicker than expected. For the great reviews and word of mouth it had, not even reaching a 3x was disappointing domestically. It did well WW though.

I'd agree, but tone-wise the movie has to be one of the most downbeat PG-13 tentpoles of all time so I'm just glad it got over 200 and was close to 3x.

• Like 1

I assume you mean domestic. There was plenty of money made worldwide with the various 2014 summer releases.

Domestically sure, but compared to this year even the WW grosses were small. TF4 killed it in China but it was also a film made around getting Chinese attention.

July 4th was the worst in decades. Transformers 4 and Tammy. Mother of god.

• Like 1