#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

how is an original WOM-based film with family appeal and Father's Day to ease the Sunday drop going to do only $70 million OW with $4 million in previews?

No way it misses $80 million. $95-105 million is more likely since it's going to be fairly back loaded

That would be one of the most front loaded original films ever.

It's not entirely original. It has a strong brand behind it, just like Guardians had Marvel behind it. Guardians of the Galaxy made more in previews than a Captain America sequel for instance.

It's not entirely original. It has a strong brand behind it, just like Guardians had Marvel behind it. Guardians of the Galaxy made more in previews than a Captain America sequel for instance.

"Original" doesn't mean having an unimpressive pedigree. Pretty much any original film needs some sort of household-name backing behind it to open to those kinds of numbers. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

That seems to happen with orginal family movies. Not much buzz online but little kids (and many times their parents) generally aren't online shouting how excited they are for the movie. Families are a huge segment of the movie going populace and something like an original Pixar movie can pull in both kids and their parents w/o generating the same online buzz you see for other would be blockbusters.

Speak for yourself.

Just thinking about the animated family films that have been released in the past year or so - I heard plenty of buzz from friends for Dragon 2 months in advance. I heard a fair amount of people excited for Big Hero 6, Home & Spongebob.

And I've never experienced a Pixar film in which I hadn't heard a significant amount of buzz in the real world, several weeks in advance of release.

From my experience, Inside Out has had the least amount of buzz for a major animated film in years. Hell, I even heard some people excited for Boxtrolls, compared to none for IO. I wasn't sure if IO would even open to 50M.

You didn't notice the Inside Out thread at the top of this page for last month or so?   :huh:

I meant outside of this forum :P

Edited by Treeth Simanton

an animated kids movie that gets philosophical/deep at times with no major tie-in and from a studio that's slightly declined in quality isn't the same as a irreverent space opera from the MCU.

Inside Out won't be that frontloaded. Especially since there's Father's Day this weekend. $95-115 million is my guess.

Anything over $80 million is phenomenal though

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

Since it's not a sequel, this is going to have solid backloading.

Could do $105-125 million. Especially since DM2 was more front loaded and did $125 million 5 day opening with $4.7 million previews

lol the resident super-overpredictor in the house.

How many predictions have you got right this year?

It's not making $125m wtf. 

Anything above $70m is a win for me, like tribefan. I'm hoping for an $80m OW. 

Yes, but Inside Out appeals to children and adults, alike, probably even more then even Marvel probably does. I don't think it'll be very frontloaded. 

• Like 1

Yes, but Inside Out appeals to children and adults, alike, probably even more then even Marvel probably does. I don't think it'll be very frontloaded. 

Of course not, I just don't think it's completely accurate to say it's an original movie in box office terms. It has a strong brand helping it and for that reason it's not unreasonable to compare it to previous Pixar movie box office. I think it will hit 90+ for the weekend.

lol the resident super-overpredictor in the house.

How many predictions have you got right this year?

It's not making $125m wtf.

Anything above $70m is a win for me, like tribefan. I'm hoping for an $80m OW.

Paddington

Taken 3

Jupiter Ascending

Kingsman

SpongeBob 2

American Sniper (highest of anyone on here)

Furious 7

Insurgent

Pitch Perfect 2

Fury Road

Jurassic World (better than 90% of the forum)

Inside Out (closer than 75% of the forum)

Since IO did $4 million previews as an original, we really have no clue how big it could go

Edited by mahnamahna

Wow, Inside Out making a 50% increase on MU's numbers is completely unexpected. I was thinking it would do a little over $2 million. Even more impressive is that MU would be more likely to have frontloading l, being the prequel to MI.

I'm not gonna count my eggs before they hatch, but this makes the weekend quite interesting and I'm thinking IO might make it to $80 million.

Of course not, I just don't think it's completely accurate to say it's an original movie in box office terms. It has a strong brand helping it and for that reason it's not unreasonable to compare it to previous Pixar movie box office. I think it will hit 90+ for the weekend.

I'd say about 87m, but either way it's most impressive, especially for an original Pixar film. I expected Inside Out to do well, but to see the possibility of blowing-up at the box office, just wows me.