#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Wow. Big number for Inside Out.

I wish I hadn't lost my interest in box office lately, seems like an exciting time to follow it with JW and whatnot.

Have to say am a little disappointed with the Spy run, especially considering the great audience reception it's gotten.

• Like 2

Which would be funny given how self-aware the movie is. 

6 months from now:

People:  Omg Jurassic World is so dumb!

Me:  You think?

The kiss between Pratt and BDH completely opposes any claim that the movie is in anyway 'self-aware'.

• Like 3

Interstellar #1

I wonder what will be #1 this year. Everyone hates Avengers all of a sudden, so that's out. And that's the only CBM this year that was real contender. No Nolan movies this year.

I think it'll be either Inside Out, Fury Road, or Star Wars 7, even if its not "great", cuz bias. Unless we get a mega surprise in the second half, which I doubt.

I'm not sure how any of that changes the fact that it's only movie I've ever seen that has caused people to walk out of the cinema during the film.

I understand your point though, I mean the movie is full things that don't have any purpose in terms of the plot and only serve to allow to director to tell you how good he is at film making. It's a bore of a movie, but it sure was a well made film. If there was any real substance in the movie it might just be watchable

I HEAR YA, some people prefer Transformers and others prefer masterpieces... lol

A great victory for Nolanites and a deserved win.

Pay no attention to the dude that gave it a B+

Great epic movie. Nolan continues to make the best movies.

Err...

Yay JW!

• Like 1

The kiss between Pratt and BDH completely opposes any claim that the movie is in anyway 'self-aware'.

I've been conditioned to expect awful romance nonplots in my Chris Pratt blockbusters

Passengers is gonna be a doozy

• Like 2

I'll just go ahead c/p my post from the RTM thread.

Jurassic World comes off as ridiculously self aware.  It possibly has the most obvious subtext in history to the point of annoyance at times, and people are asking variations of "why did the movie do this thing or that thing or OMG that was dumb" without even considering why.  Its a movie about how creators/marketing always strives for bigger and better ways to continue to keep wow-ing people as they quickly become bored(in this case, a giant super hybrid dinosaur with unique "outlandish" abilities) only to destroy what people loved about the original, eventually regaining the attention by going back to basics after that happens. It subverts by having the grand themes of the original score commercial and mundane things or eschews moments that would normally be centered around a "wow" factor, for a shifted focus that matches the older teen's blase attitude towards the whole thing.  It was so on the nose, but I've still heard from some people that they didn't understand why the older teen was bored at first but then was not when that changing point "mysteriously" happens when he runs into the first new dinosaur seen in the movie as compared to everything else which he (we) had seen before.

Seriously, if this movie gets an Avatar-like backlash 6 months from now I'm gonna be rofling.

• Like 1