#ED

Weekend Actuals: Inside Out - 90.44M | Jurassic World - 106.59M

Hell, I think I even read that Natalie Portman said it ruined her career.. That movie didn't do anyone any favors including Liam Neeson who bounced back nicely with TAKEN(The other 2 movies sucked donkey dick though).. Not sure about The GREY..

Portman did get an Oscar after so she survived ok

I have a question. Anyone can answer: how do the studios get thr money from theaters, dom and os? So JW made $106M this weekend. Does the theater go put the stuidos share in account? Do they write check and mail it? What about os? They put it in an account, and the studios accountants get it and go to the apbam and get the cash out?

How does that work. Basically, the $8 ai give my theater with my debit card, how is Universal getting that money and how long does it take for them to get it?

Basically same as any business, at end of playweek theatres send BOR report to distributors most of them fully broken down details (ie by day by screen, by session, by format in some case by ticket type as well )  those figures are either received electronically or manual input.

A comparison is then done against the initial flash gross, if there is a discrepancy between the two then a check is done as to if the flash figure is wrong or the actual received(i.e. maybe a day is missing)

After that distributor sends the theatre/circuit an invoice with the BOR details and how much film rental to pay. Theatre then pays by check, EFT etc

some theatres/circuits will do whats called Self invoicing (most chains in US like AMC  do this, in Germany nearly all self invoice).

Self invoice basically is  they still submit the BOR reports as normal but then their system has worked out what they believe should be payed for the film/playweek and pay as well.

The distributors own system will check what say AMC has submitted for both the BOR report and what they are paying and if they don't agree for some reason a dispute will be raised.

For a self invoice money is usually payed within few days of end of week, for non self invoice it could be week a month etc. terms of trade will normally say you have to pay  something like 7-21 days after invoicing(varies)

In some countries that take forever to get report from theatres etc, like Spain they will bill the theatre initially of flash grosses(i.e. what ever has come from Rentrak) at the end of playweek. when theatre BOR is eventually received if there is a discrepancy an adjustment will be done. Spain years ago started invoicing of flash gross as on average it was like almost 100% accurate (like 99.5%)

• Like 12

LOL Jake Lloyd (young Anakin) was arrested in Charleston...for speeding and evading police on one of our highways. What even :lol: Leave Charleston alone!

He grew up believing no one could ever beat him at pod racing. He never got over the fact it wasn't real *cries*

Basically same as any business, at end of playweek theatres send BOR report to distributors most of them fully broken down details (ie by day by screen, by session, by format in some case by ticket type as well )  those figures are either received electronically or manual input.

A comparison is then done against the initial flash gross, if there is a discrepancy between the two then a check is done as to if the flash figure is wrong or the actual received(i.e. maybe a day is missing)

After that distributor sends the theatre/circuit an invoice with the BOR details and how much film rental to pay. Theatre then pays by check, EFT etc

some theatres/circuits will do whats called Self invoicing (most chains in US like AMC  do this, in Germany nearly all self invoice).

Self invoice basically is  they still submit the BOR reports as normal but then their system has worked out what they believe should be payed for the film/playweek and pay as well.

The distributors own system will check what say AMC has submitted for both the BOR report and what they are paying and if they don't agree for some reason a dispute will be raised.

For a self invoice money is usually payed within few days of end of week, for non self invoice it could be week a month etc. terms of trade will normally say you have to pay  something like 7-21 days after invoicing(varies)

In some countries that take forever to get report from theatres etc, like Spain they will bill the theatre initially of flash grosses(i.e. what ever has come from Rentrak) at the end of playweek. when theatre BOR is eventually received if there is a discrepancy an adjustment will be done. Spain years ago started invoicing of flash gross as on average it was like almost 100% accurate (like 99.5%)

You know how all the theaters pay the studio. Only if you started posting at the end of 2008 and so I could asked if my theater was cheating IMAX since they lost the IMAX contract and the owner blamed on IMAX but I knew he was lying since he did all this shady business. 

• Like 1

Good grief, I wish all that data were also sent to the box office sites. Then we could actually get accurate admissions to the ticket, complete format breakdowns, average prices for each movie, you name it.

Someone should hack the Big 3 and release all the raw data. :P

Edited by TServo2049

JW's run gets interesting when you start to look at the fastest film to $550M and $600M, records that aren't tracked on BOM but might as well be at this point. TA1 currently holds the former record with 31 days, while Avatar catches up for once and holds the latter record with 47 days. Does JW have a chance at beating Avatar for fastest to $600M?

The People vs George Lucas.

yeah, it was anti prequel but the ending message was that fans will love Lucas forever because he gave them the OT they will always treasure. Love/hate relationship kind of thing.

I'll never get the pure hatred for the prequels. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

JW's run gets interesting when you start to look at the fastest film to $550M and $600M, records that aren't tracked on BOM but might as well be at this point. TA1 currently holds the former record with 31 days, while Avatar catches up for once and holds the latter record with 47 days. Does JW have a chance at beating Avatar for fastest to $600M?

Yes. It will slow down after that though.

Definitely has a chance. Avengers got there in 54 days. JP4 is four days ahead of TA1's pace to reach $400m. The gap will continue to widen due to the summer weekday advantage for JP4. Probably will be pretty close with Avatar's speed, one way or the other.

IO made me tear up like nothing has since Toy Story 3. And I don't tear up at movies much either - for some reason it's been certain animated family films that have gotten to me. I got a little misty at one screening of How to Train Your Dragon 2, and at my first showing of Big Hero 6 - those who have seen them probably know which scenes. The only live action movie to make me cry man-tears was probably Return of the King.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1