Bonenash

Tuesday Actuals: Jurassic World - 13.13M | Inside Out 13.04M

Deadline weekend predictions from "the industry":

http://deadline.com/2015/06/ted-2-jurassic-world-max-weekend-box-office-preview-1201453033/

JP4 - $60m

IO - $50-52m

Ted - $45-50m

lol at this Captain Obvious:

How far will this JW phenomenon go? Asserted one rival studio chief this morning with confidence, “I think it’s gonna make $600 million at the domestic box office.”

Rival studio chief. He's pressed. ;)

Inside Out - $350 million+ DOM

Minions - $300 million+ DOM

Pixels - $150 million+ DOM

Ant Man - $150 million+ DOM

JW - $600 million+ DOM

Pretty sure Underdogs has a lot of competition from the months before. If major releases like Turbo, Smurfs 2 and Planes were hurt by MU/DM2, what do you think will happen with something minor like Underdogs?

Unlike Epic, Underdogs has plenty of family friendly films releasing before it. I didn't even mention Max and Shaun

I'm extremely bullish with BO so it has everything to do with mid August being meh and fatigue from May-July. That three month period will be enormous when all is said and done

I just don't see room for something mediocre to break out when families are gonna be broke by August lol :P

The only two movies you listed aiming squarely for Underdogs audience are IO and Minions which would be a non-factor when it comes out. It's not about the before, it's about the after. 6 weeks guarantees long legs.

Fantastic compared to TA1 or JW? I don't think so. Fantastic in a vacuum? Sure but it was always going to be massive.

Because assuming that any Avengers movie is destined, contracted to make 1,5; 1,7 B WW no matter what is ... clever ?

Like Jurassic World will be a disappointment when it makes 450m dom and 1,1B WW ? Same for FF8 ?

Baumer & me kept saying it long before Ultron got released, the first Avengers was the peak of the brand and the zeitgeist moment, a drop was inevitable, the writing was on the wall but no, most of people were on the "Ultron will destroy summer bandwagon"  and pretending that Disney is crying over a 1,36B WW gross for Ultron and that oh, noes ! Universal is stealing all their Avengers records, is ridiculous.

Only the size of the drop for Ultron dom surprised me.

FF7  is a box office anomaly, a Michael Jackson/Freddie Mercury moment, but at the movies, it s the peak of the franchise for a very sad reason.

The massive success of Jurassic World, though, I got nothing. The movie is entertaining but lots of other tentpoles are, I guess dinos speak to all generations and Universal played well the nostalgia angle linked to the original ( Williams music, the park is open, the last fan servicing act). And this one is a peak to.

Edited by The Futurist

So Dealine, Variety and BO.com are all predicting that JW will win the weekend, although by a narrow margin.

Do you think there's anything to it? Because based on the poll here, JW is a distant third in our predictions for this weekend.

So Dealine, Variety and BO.com are all predicting that JW will win the weekend, although by a narrow margin.

Do you think there's anything to it? Because based on the poll here, JW is a distant third in our predictions for this weekend.

Seems difficult after last Sunday was juiced by Father's Day so much.

Will Universal bother tracking today's # for Jaws?

Cause the two theaters by me each had a 7pm show, but both sold out so they each added another one. I'm in the theater now at one of them and this second show seems sold out too. Curious what today's # would be.

Geez, JP4 is over $100m ahead of TA2 after 12 days. Crazy.

New benchmark is TA1 and even Avadar

edit: looks like Avadar's peak would remain untouched

edit: JW's 3rd weekend is key

Edited by zackzack

Underdogs' biggest problem is that it looks extremely unappealing. I would say Escape From Planet Earth numbers AT BEST. That movie was opening in a time when there was lack of kids fare, and while it did decent business, it was no smash it for sure.

Underdogs' biggest problem is that it looks extremely unappealing. I would say Escape From Planet Earth numbers AT BEST. That movie was opening in a time when there was lack of kids fare, and while it did decent business, it was no smash it for sure.

I thought the trailer was cute but nothing I'm gonna pay to see in theatres

From what I've heard in the trailer, the new dialogue appears to be atrocious. Why is it that every time Harvey Weinstein acquires an animated film and has it recut and rewritten, the dialogue is always worse?

Edited by TServo2049

Since I didn't see a review thread for Dope I will just post my review here.

As I was watching Dope in a almost empty theater, it sadden me that the majority of film goers will probably not be seeing this film because its a very well made film that deserves to be watched. Its really funny, good acting especially from Shameik Moore, a fantastic soundtrack, and just a good time. If you get the chance, go see this movie.
10178063_10206097820899509_6878546671096

• Like 2

Since I didn't see a review thread for Dope I will just post my review here.

As I was watching Dope in a almost empty theater, it sadden me that the majority of film goers will probably not be seeing this film because its a very well made film that deserves to be watched. Its really funny, good acting especially from Shameik Moore, a fantastic soundtrack, and just a good time. If you get the chance, go see this movie.

10178063_10206097820899509_6878546671096

Created, you can post your review there now. 

• Like 3